Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I’m going to give it a shot.

Anybody know of an insurance coverage when your truck is down it either covers rental cost till the truck is back up or covers your lost revenue that you would have earn with the truck running or both. I have general business insurance that covers me when damages are done to a property. But I’m a one man band right now and really can’t justify spending 10,000-20,000 on a back up truck that isn’t out generating money on a daily basis?.... any other suggestions if that type of insurance doesn’t exists?

· Registered
7,298 Posts
My wife is an insurance agent, and yes there are policies that cover lost revenue, and or replacement vehicles when one is down. Each state is different, as each insurer is. Contact your agent regarding your existing policy, and or adding one to your BOP.

I doubt a rental "plow equipped" truck replacement would be available, unless there's a specialty rental near you that would work with your insurer.

Good luck finding a truck during an event, though.

You should be asking yourself how your plan "b" includes servicing your existing customers, as they will be the ones who suffer should your services terminate from your vehicle loss.

· Registered
7,397 Posts
Why does a back up truck have to cost $10,000?
I haven't paid $10,000 for a truck since I bought my 2 yo 1993 S-10, I paid $9995 for it. It plowed snow for 20 years before the frame rotted out. Kinda scary when I think how much $$$$ that little truck made for me.
PS the plow got put on another truck and is still plowing a rural driveway to this day.

· Registered
7,397 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not sure if your just doing a bunch of small driveways or what with an s10 but i have commercial accounts and we get lake effect where I am and sometimes my Silverado 2500 can't push a full blade of snow cause its too heavy. 2 years ago i payed $20,000 for my truck i think now its probably worth 12,000-15,000 and im having reliability issues with it so my thought process is if im having issues with my truck now a $5,000 truck will only be more headaches.

· Registered
7,397 Posts
Im not sure if your just doing a bunch of small driveways or what with an s10 but i have commercial accounts and we get lake effect where I am and sometimes my Silverado 2500 can't push a full blade of snow cause its too heavy. 2 years ago i payed $20,000 for my truck i think now its probably worth 12,000-15,000 and im having reliability issues with it so my thought process is if im having issues with my truck now a $5,000 truck will only be more headaches.
But if you had 4 $5,000 trucks, you have much better odds of one of them getting through the the event.
And the insurance on the 4 might even be less then the one newer one.
It just happened to me today, blew a hose on truck #1, jumped in truck #2, finished my day, by mid afternoon my mechanic had truck #1 fixed. Good thing too, tomorrow the stars and planets all align and I have a sub available, so we can run two trucks.
Bottom line is if you're in business, you need a back up. If you have 2 trucks and they both have a full route, you need 3 trucks.
We just put a plow mount on my Yukon, so if the other truck goes down we can switch the plow over. Mount, harness, controller was $2k, worth every penny, if we use it once.

Reactions: Dogplow Dodge

· Registered
6,080 Posts
What was your backup plan when you started plowing with your original $20k current truck? Knowing you get a lot of snow and it can be heavy at times, wouldn't you expect some problems with either plow or truck at some point?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.