1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Insurance questions.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MT4222, Nov 6, 2014.

  1. MT4222

    MT4222 Junior Member
    Messages: 1

    I have plowed for years in company trucks. I live and work in Michigan. This is the first season I will have my own truck. I am an hourly employee and I receive a w2. We plow commercial lots. Subdivisions. And condos. My question is what type or types of insurance do I need other than standard auto insurance. I will be working for a company that has full insurance including general liability but I don't know if that covers me or not. Thanks, any input will be appreciated
  2. Sawboy

    Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,700

    Standard auto insurance will not do it. You need GL or General Liability insurance.
  3. derekslawncare

    derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,003

    Well here comes a long answer. Are you incorporated/LLC? If not, you need in addition to the above mentioned general liability, you need to have a personal umbrella policy. This will keep you from losing your house in the event you have a serious accident and are sued. Also, you ABSOLUTELY have to let your auto insurance agent know you are plowing and make sure it gets added (in writing, not just a verbal, "I got you covered") from your agent, otherwise, again when something happens, if they didn't know you were plowing, they could refuse to cover it, or cover it and then immediately drop you. General liability policy needs to be in the neighborhood of 1 million at bare minimum, unless your agent tells you differently.
    The biggest thing to remember with insurance is that it isn't there to replace your truck, plow or whatever, it is to PROTECT YOU FROM BEING SUED INTO THE STONE AGES IF SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS, so shop for and price it with that in the back of your mind. Remember, we live in a day and age where everyone thinks that someone else owes them something for nothing and this is never more apparent than after an accident. (Think women and the cup of coffee and Mc D's) Hope this helps.
  4. gc3

    gc3 Senior Member
    Messages: 713

    And if you do want your equipment repaired or replaced if accident happens make sure you ask how much your policy will pay for after the deductible
  5. 160SR

    160SR Junior Member
    from nh
    Messages: 27

    If you are sub contracting you should be getting a 1099 not a W2 In which case you should have liability, completed operations, some sort of umbrella policy may be in order to protect your personal assets, blah, blah, blah. Talk to a commercial insurance person before you drop your blade.
    If your getting a W2 I think that makes you an employee.
    If you and your truck are available for hire to others also, then you are a private contractor and need your own insurance.
    Depending on your " exposure " it could be several thousand $.
    One thing there should be is a clause that they will pay for legal rep. if you get sued for something.
  6. SnoFarmer

    SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN
    Messages: 9,883

    Your an hourly employee who revives a w2,
    Sounds correct .

    You use your truck for work.
    Your employer needs to put you & your truck on his INS as you are a employee not a subcontractor.
    You do not need to get any additional INS.

  7. plowguy43

    plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,281

    These two answers are correct. Its the same concept as a pizza shop who has its delivery drivers use their own vehicles. The company you are plowing for should have coverage for you on their policy, its called Non Owned & Hired Coverage.