1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Insurance question

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by marinablue66, Oct 30, 2010.

  1. marinablue66

    marinablue66 Junior Member
    from CT
    Messages: 13

    I'm planning on buying a single axle dump with a plow and sander, and will be plowing for the local and or the state DOT. I'm located in CT and I was wondering if anyone had some information on what I would need for insurance and about what the cost would be. Just trying to budget everything out so any information would be helpful. thank you
  2. hightop

    hightop Member
    Messages: 47

    I would think the state or local's would give you the minimum required coverage they demand. Here we have to have $500,000 CSL, but a lot of agency's require $1,000,000. Pricing is going to depend on your age, driving record, credit history, etc.
  3. Mick

    Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine
    Messages: 5,546

    First, see if you'll meet State requirements for contractors. I just read that CT requires trucks with a minimum GVWR of 19,500 lbs. Also, check with them as you may be too late for this winter. You can do all that online - CT.gov . Then, contact your insurance agent about the cost of Municipal insurance for you. It ain't cheap.
  4. marinablue66

    marinablue66 Junior Member
    from CT
    Messages: 13

    I have looked at the minimum requirments and they are different for different municipalities. I'm looking to do this for next season so i still have time for everything. and as for the minimum GVW req. again they are different for some municipalities and the state has diferent classes that you can bid for. Thanks for the imput so far
  5. bighornjd

    bighornjd Senior Member
    Messages: 249

    So you already know the answer to your question. Different municipalities have different requirements. The higher your liability limits are the higher your premium will be. It will also be affected by a lot of things already mentioned like driving record, type of vehicle etc. Find out what requirements you need to meet then talk to an insurance agent. They can give you all the info you need.

    For what it's worth to you (which is absolutely nothin) a small borough local to me requires 2mil Aggregate General Liability, 1mil CSL Auto, 1mil Umbrella, and 1mil Worker's Comp.

    Depends what kind of work you do if you do more than snow removal. I am a home improvement/construction contractor first and foremost and do a good deal of roofing so that's what my Gen Lib is rated for. Needless to say it costs a damm fortune. My Comm Auto policy has several CDL trucks and trailers on it and I do for hire hauling. Also costs a damm fortune. I have a perfect driving record and no claims of any kind - I can't imagine the costs if I did.

    Basically everyone's situation is different. You need the right insurance for YOU, not what another guy on Plowsite has. There is no one size fits all when it comes to insurance and if you think you found it I guarantee it won't "fit" when it comes time to make a claim. I have an excellent insurance agent that takes care of everything. Any problems or dumb questions I have are easily taken care of with a quick phone call or dropping by the office. I can only suggest to try and find an agent in your area that can do the same. Good luck.
  6. marinablue66

    marinablue66 Junior Member
    from CT
    Messages: 13