1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Insurance for Tractor/blower combos

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by PTSolutions, Oct 10, 2011.

  1. PTSolutions

    PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,537

    Just wondering what type of policies you guys run for these units. I am waiting on my units to arrive and was looking for a bit of heads up on what coverage you have and the premiums.

    We have a commercial liability policy, so i'm wondering if the tractor could get tacked onto the commercial auto policy? Or is there a special type of AG insurance?
  2. Neige

    Neige Sponsor
    Messages: 2,215

    Our tractors fall under our commercial liability policy. This can be very different from state to state, I know in Canada it differs from Province to Province. In Quebec I have to get a license plate and have a driver with a valid drivers license. In Ontario no plate, and anyone can drive an Ag tractor, don't even need a valid drivers license. So its best to check out what is needed for you state.
  3. 4wydnr

    4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL
    Messages: 151

    I think all you will need is just to have it listed on you commercial liability policy. That's how the tractors for our farm are insured. The only thing we need here in IL is the orange SMV sign on the back to drive down the road.

    As far as drivers license I was hauling 90,000 lbs of corn with the tractor and wagons when I was 14.
  4. bellcon

    bellcon Junior Member
    from NH
    Messages: 12

    I live in NH and run a Kioti DK55 with a blower for residential driveways. I have to have it registered to drive it down the road. I need commercial auto insurance on it in case it's involved in a motor vehicle accident while going down the road and also commercial liability insurance to cover property damage from the result on snow removal. I'm a building contractor so I already had a 2m liability policy and my agent was able to add the additional coverage to my existing policy. It wasn't a big price jump.
  5. IMAGE

    IMAGE Sponsor
    Messages: 1,747

    My insurance lady said I only needed to make sure that all equipment is listed on my Inland Marine policy for theft/loss. Of corse i have a GL policy to cover damages, and a commercial auto policy for trucks, but she didn't say anything about tractors needing to be listed on there as vehicles.
  6. bi-directional

    bi-directional Member
    Messages: 68

    In Ontario you don't need a license but need to be 16 to drive a tractor on the road and can't have a suspended license.