1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Insurance (for the plow, itself)

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by solar, Jan 16, 2007.

  1. solar

    solar Member
    from Mass.
    Messages: 47

    Two part question – Who insures their plows separately from the truck, and does anyone have the MSRP of a 8’-6” Fisher MM2?

    My insurance company has asked for a price to give me a quote. Obviously if it’s inexpensive enough I’ll probably get it, but curious how many people maintain insurance on their plows in addition to their trucks.

  2. Mick

    Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine
    Messages: 5,546

    The plow is insured as part of the truck under the Commercial Vehicle policy since the truck is modified specifically for the plow. Exactly what are you insuring the plow against? Theft? Particular type of damage? These would be included with a commercial policy. If you don't have a commercial policy, then insuring the plow only tells them you are plowing commercially and they would deny any claim you make against the truck under a Personal policy.

    I just bought an 8' straight Fisher. List was $4395. So, I'd say give a value of like $5000.
  3. Lawnscape89

    Lawnscape89 Senior Member
    Messages: 213

    I think your asking about insurance for the plow against theft while on the truck. If so, my insurance company quoted me a price of around $60 per year. This would be part of my auto insurance and for theft only. The catch: The plow would have to be on the truck for the coverage to extend to the plow!. This would be fine for my Meyer but won't do me any good for my Western MVP because everything comes off the truck. I'm not positive about coverage "while plowing" and property damage that may occur as a result of plowing. I did back into someone a couple of years ago while plowing and there were no questions asked. I was covered just like any other accident. But I'm sure this will vary from company to company.

    I would only give them a value of what can be stolen from you truck. I don't think many people will take your mounting carton or wiring, but you could loose your controller along with the pump and plow. I would guess that the value you give them will determine how much you will have to pay. JMO.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  4. snyps

    snyps Senior Member
    Messages: 101

    My commercial policy only covers theft from off my truck. He it is stolen from my driveway, it is not covered!!!

    I wish I could get insurance for the plow when it is in my driveway.. I what I need is called an inland/marine policy.
  5. Mick

    Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine
    Messages: 5,546

    Theft from your driveway might be covered under your Homeowner's policy. Most of your damage would be considered normal wear and tear. Hitting something/someone or them hitting you would be under the vehicle policy (yours or theirs) or General Liability (this might cover driveway theft). Never thought about it, I guess. Wouldn't a renter's insurance policy cover theft? What would the inland marine policy cover?
  6. VnDrWLawnCare

    VnDrWLawnCare Member
    Messages: 68

    I think the plow should be covered under some general liability policy that you would have to cover yourself while plowing. --against damage to property etc.--would also protect your equipment against vandalism, theft, fire, etc.

    At least with my policy for lawn maintenance inland marine only covers the small hand held equipment with a value of under a $1000 for each piece.

    I think that is how it goes
  7. hickslawns

    hickslawns Senior Member
    Messages: 627

    Insurance is funny. My equipment is covered against theft while on a jobsite. Example would be the bobcat left at a customer's property. Plows are covered if stolen off the truck under the truck policy. If it is off the truck, say in the summer for storage, it is only covered due to the fact I have an additional writer on my policy to cover them against theft/vandalism/fire. If they are stored inside, then they are covered against the the policy for my buildings. Long story short, I have my plows covered. I also have bobcat attachments, tools over $500, and trailers covered. All you have to do is call your insurance company, talk to your rep, and pay up. You can get them covered, you just have to ask the right questions and be willing to pay.