1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Insurance for residential snow blowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ajg345, Dec 2, 2012.

  1. ajg345

    ajg345 Junior Member
    Messages: 1

    Hello. Two years ago I shoveled some local driveways for some extra money. Over the past months, I've advertised heavily and now have around 40 clients lined up for this winter. I need to purchase liability insurance to cover my ass now that my business is much bigger. We are only using snow blowers and shovels and only doing residential properties. No snowplows or commercial accounts.

    How would you recommend getting liability insurance and who do you recommend (I am in the South Jersey area)? What do you think it will cost me? Also, would having the property owner sign a waiver alleviate the need for me to purchase insurance (just a thought)?

    Thank you in advance for your help
  2. grandview

    grandview PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,609

    Call a broker and not a one horse agency. Then go from there.
  3. mkwl

    mkwl 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,362

    Definitely call a good broker who deals specifically in commercial liability and vehicle policies- ask around from other guys local to you to see who they use. To do it right, you really need a gen liab policy as well as a comm vehicle policy (vehicles should be plated commercial), you may need an additional snow removal rider on the policy as well- in NJ you really don't want to cut corners on this stuff or your butt can get burned- tons of frivilous lawsuits out there so get yourself a good broker who knows your business, and invest in the insurance to protect yourself. And no, signing a waiver won't protect you from needing insurance- it'll certainly help with frivilous "you scratched my driveway"stuff, but aside from that it won't do much- need to have commercial insurance if you're doing this for hire. Costs $$ to set it up right, but you're better off in the long run.