Snow Plowing Forum banner

installing driveway stakes

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  BucklesIX 
#1 ·
when installing driveway stakes along a drive do you put the stakes at the edge and plow the snow up and around the stakes or do you allow room to put the snow by moving the stakes back on the lawn? .Also a customer has a spring along side the drive with a blind ditch to control the water which runs all winter. When plowing the drive snow over the ditch it seems to block the water causing the water To enter the drive and freeze. Salting only increses the frozen area, sanding makes a mess on the white stone drive, THE DRIVE IS 200 FEET LONG SO SHOVELING THE SNOW OFF THE DITCH IS OUT OF THE QUESTION, CAN NOT RIDE ON THE LAWN TO CLEAR THE DITCH. WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING IS TO BRING A SNOW BLOWER AND CLEAR THE DITCH AFTER I PLOW BUT THAT TAKES TIME AND TIME IS MONEY PLUS I HAVE HAD OTHER CUSTOMERS SEE THE BLOWER AND WANT ME TO DO THIER WALKS AND STEPS ALSO . INSEAD OF 30 MIN. NOW IT IS 1 HOUR AND I CAN'T CHARGE DOUBLE bob w.

#2 ·
Have the homeowner lay a 4" roll of drain tile through the ditch. You can buy plastic tile in 100' rolls fairly cheap. This way you can push the snow wherever you want and the water can still run through if it needs to. May have to secure it every few feet so it doesn't move around and lose the fall but overall it should be pretty simple.

#3 ·
Raymond S.;1537757 said:
Have the homeowner lay a 4" roll of drain tile through the ditch. You can buy plastic tile in 100' rolls fairly cheap. This way you can push the snow wherever you want and the water can still run through if it needs to. May have to secure it every few feet so it doesn't move around and lose the fall but overall it should be pretty simple.
Great idea. Wonder if he can push the snow to the other side instead of the ditch line? Pics make answering questions like this SO much easier.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Raymond S.;1537757 said:
Drain tile isn't going to help if the snow is keeping the water from getting to it. As stated above, plow to the other side if possible.

#8 ·
peteo1;1537858 said:
Drain tile isn't going to help if the snow is keeping the water from getting to it. As stated above, plow to the other side if possible.[/QUOTE
the ditch is omly 5or6 inches deep and filled to ground level with1 1/2 in stone it works good untill about he second plowig t hen the snow packs down or the ditch freezes then the water comes out on the drrve I TRIED TO PLOW I T LAST YEAR AND SPENT A HALF DAY REPAIRING THR LAWN IN THE SPRING. have plowed it one way or to the other side and will probably do it again. I do not see the owner going for pipe just for snow removaL
bob w.

#9 ·
I would say that the driveway is a PITA and unless you have a relationship with the owner, or need the work, you should re-think whether there is anything other than aggravation involved with this job. Choice should be made on that basis as to whether to continue, or sign up an easier driveway.

#12 ·
I put in contracts damage to lawn soil and grass or non permanent property in the plowing path, is not liable for damage. Sometimes their is zero way to prevent some damage to the lawn with a plow and truck. If they don't want damage they need to hire a snow blower, or get their own equipment. If I have a relationship with the customer, or they are old or unable to fix it, I give them a discount on the labor for repairs, but they pay for all materials and labor. If they are that picky, or that ignorant about the technicalities of snow plowing, you don't want that job

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.