Snow Plowing Forum banner

Inherited my old mans snow biz

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  RdLi 
#1 ·
Just wanted to get my first post in here.

My fathers been serving the same area for 25 years and I’ve been the shovel horse for those past 15. Now that my old mans retired and moved down south I took it on this year and now I’m behind the wheel.

I’m no stranger to expecting truck problems you run into on the route and the constant worry of if your trucks gonna last through the night. So I’m joining here because now having all the weight on my shoulders, I want to learn and possibly network from this community and make the most out of my side business. I’m looking into putting a mount on my newer 16 RAM so when my 05 goes to hell the only time I lose, is the time it takes my wife to get me my newer truck.

Last storm that hit, my brake line got a leak and it cost me nearly 3 hours at the mechanic and I was just fortunate that he was even there and we didn’t have to order any parts.

Im not letting that happen again.

I have too many customers to rely on a 16 year old truck.

I do residential work on Long Island NY
PM me if you are local to me and want to exchange numbers....after my routes done I’m looking for cash and if something goes wrong with my trucks then I’m looking to hire to maintain my customers.

Thanks for reading

See less See more
#5 ·
Really good thinking. The most overlooked aspect of the plowing business is a backup plan in case trouble arises. I think I’ve read hundreds of posts on here where people’s equipment broke mid storm or day before and they needed advice quickly to fix it or they were doomed. I always had 4-5 pieces of equipment I could turn to in order to continue plowing without any significant interruption. Now employees on the other hand, constantly throwing me for a loop. Always translated into me having to do more. That was the backup plan...
Good luck with the business!

#7 ·
Really good thinking. The most overlooked aspect of the plowing business is a backup plan in case trouble arises. I think I've read hundreds of posts on here where people's equipment broke mid storm or day before and they needed advice quickly to fix it or they were doomed. I always had 4-5 pieces of equipment I could turn to in order to continue plowing without any significant interruption. Now employees on the other hand, constantly throwing me for a loop. Always translated into me having to do more. That was the backup plan...
Good luck with the business!
Thanks for the reply. Yea I have a backup plow ready to go but now I just need my new truck mounted. And that brings into play the ability to have 2 trucks running. But good helps hard to find, and nobody cares about your business like you do! Haha if I only had 2 of me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.