In or out

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
Its already July.
I need to decide soon if I'm in or out of the snow biz.
I have good customers asking if I can add properties.
I like plowing snow, but hate dealing with sidewalks. I either have to find a new, good sidewalk crew (sub) or just get rid of the walks.
I also hate dealing with salt. I don't mind spreading, just don't like the other BS, deciding how much to buy, storing it, loading, the mess, etc.
I still have 2 clients who haven't paid invoices sent in April. If I'm out of the snow biz, they will get no notice. Let them try to find someone new last minute.
I may just plow alleys. They're easy seasonal contracts with no walks or salting. I could probably knock out a dozen of them in 4-6 hours.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
We were just discussing this yesterday.

The field is wide open due to the number of contractors getting out. But then there are idiots who are lowering prices (at least last year) when employees are virtually non-existent, prices for everything else were up last year and now fuel.

Will be interesting.

I do dream of watching a storm come in and just enjoying the snowfall...

OP
EWSplow

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
We were just discussing this yesterday.

The field is wide open due to the number of contractors getting out. But then there are idiots who are lowering prices (at least last year) when employees are virtually non-existent, prices for everything else were up last year and now fuel.

Will be interesting.

I do dream of watching a storm come in and just enjoying the snowfall...
Your son isn't interested in taking over?

I had hoped to eventually have one of my subs take over the business, but they just don't have what it takes. I can't even refer them to clients. I wouldn't be there to ride their butts and time things out. And they can't last a month between payments.

m_ice

PlowSite Veteran
Can you just send out a letter to all existing customers telling them you won't be doing walks any more. You might be suprised???

OP
EWSplow

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
Can you just send out a letter to all existing customers telling them you won't be doing walks any more. You might be suprised???
I thought about that, but they'd ask me to recommend someone...which I can't.

I may possibly hang onto alleys and the few properties that don't get salted.

If I really want to plow snow, I'd probably just sub for someone else and let them have the headaches.

m_ice

PlowSite Veteran
I thought about that, but they'd ask me to recommend someone...which I can't.

I may possibly hang onto alleys and the few properties that don't get salted.

If I really want to plow snow, I'd probably just sub for someone else and let them have the headaches.

The alleys seem like the least stressful route

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
Its already July.
I need to decide soon if I'm in or out of the snow biz.
I have good customers asking if I can add properties.
I like plowing snow, but hate dealing with sidewalks. I either have to find a new, good sidewalk crew (sub) or just get rid of the walks.
I also hate dealing with salt. I don't mind spreading, just don't like the other BS, deciding how much to buy, storing it, loading, the mess, etc.
I still have 2 clients who haven't paid invoices sent in April. If I'm out of the snow biz, they will get no notice. Let them try to find someone new last minute.
I may just plow alleys. They're easy seasonal contracts with no walks or salting. I could probably knock out a dozen of them in 4-6 hours.
If you don't need snow work to carry you through the winter and struggle finding shovelers then get oot. Im sure you can backfill the time you'd spend plowing with remodeling,etc.... type of work.
Once your oot you'll find a new appreciation for winter and enjoy some of things it offers, plus you're no longer held hostage by the weather and can travel if that's your thang....

Top Forums