Im a sucker for strobes

Mudly

I have a obsession with flashing lights. This is how i strobe my trucks, efficient but effective and around $150 materials per truck. That dosn't include work lights.

bllm87

Where do you get your lights at? I'm particularly interested in the cab lights... especially if you say all of that only cost $150. I bought a set of Atomic cab lights that strobe for our 02 F350 about 5 years ago, and they're holding up great. They're built like a tank, and are REAL bright. However, I paid around $300 for them. I'm looking for a "generic" set to put on the 93 C3500HD salt truck, since I put the cheapo $40 non-strobing cab lights on them and a few are burned out. I'm having a hell of a time trying to find quality ones that just have wire pigtails as opposed to a vehicle-specific plug.

OP
M

Mudly

Well, they are basic t 10 leds up top, the color choice/brightness is up to you. The strobe moduals and lights can all be found on amazon. Everything is wired under the dash with switches/upfitters. Except for the Salter, i have the wig wag module on the salter not the truck so it works on any truck without separate module per truck. Wiring i use 4 way trailer plugs that come with the trailer light kits we buy when someone busts a light on a trailer.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
Is green legal for private contractors in oHIo?

Meatchicken they had to change the law to allow muni's to use green and only muni's. Doesn't prevent some DB contractors from buying green lights and using them.

OP
M

Mudly

There is currently legislation in progress to designate it for only muni. From my understanding nothing is in concrete.

JMHConstruction

PlowSite Fanatic
Saw a contractor the other day with a green light. I believe it was a branding thing (shamrock landscaping or something), but it just seemed odd to me. First one I'd ever seen.

John_DeereGreen

PlowSite Fanatic
Is green legal for private contractors in oHIo?

Meatchicken they had to change the law to allow muni's to use green and only muni's. Doesn't prevent some DB contractors from buying green lights and using them.
They regulate the color of lights that can be used on private property? Here as long as you’re not being a douchecanoe nothing is said.

John_DeereGreen

PlowSite Fanatic
So you can red and/or blue lights on private property?
I’ve never researched that because I don’t really care about red or blue. When I wanted to put amber/green/white combo bars on stuff I looked and could not find any regulations of lighting colors on private property. Perhaps that’s changed, but we’ve never been bothered.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
You can red and blue pink black on private.
Nope,

A lot of laws or some of them do extend to private property .
In every states law book, you’ll find a sentence that says something like you cannot have a red light facing forward on your vehicle it doesn’t say private or public property.
It just states that no vehicles except for emergency vehicles canhave a red light facing forward , Even if they are not illuminated

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
In WI
 No vehicle may be equipped with or display any blue colored light or lamp unless the vehicle is used in police work authorized by the state or a political subdivision of the state or is used by a fire department

Doesn’t matter if it’s a public or private “no vehicle”

They don’t want you to run the colors that are used on emergency response vehicles on private property.
they don’t want anybody coming close to impersonating in official vehicle.
I remember, the cops can pull you over in a private parking lot or road.

OP
M

Mudly

Nope,

A lot of laws or some of them do extend to private property .
In every states law book, you’ll find a sentence that says something like you cannot have a red light facing forward on your vehicle it doesn’t say private or public property.
It just states that no vehicles except for emergency vehicles canhave a red light facing forward , Even if they are not illuminated
this is an Ohio thread. I can run whatever color light i want on private. orc 4513.17

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
this is an Ohio thread. I can run whatever color light i want on private. orc 4513.17
I wouldn’t be so sure
Have you heard of a thing called a uniform traffic code ?

Ohio
icles, Ohio statute 4513.17 (clause d) states that a law enforcement vehicle is equipped with red and white flashing or rotating lights. Along these same lines, only law enforcement vehicles and other vehicles involved with enforcing criminal and/or traffic law may be allowed to use blue, or blue and white police lights on their vehicles. Those lights can also flash, rotate, or oscillate.

“a flashing, oscillating, or rotating amber light, but shall not display a flashing, oscillating, or rotating light of any other color, nor to vehicles “

This means that you can’t have them on your vehicle regardless if it’s on private or public property . And you’re limited to using Amber even on private property .

Even a security company car cannot use any other color then Amber.
As again they don’t want the security guard to play cop and pull people over.
Just just like they don’t want people to think you’re an emergency vehicle as you’re pulling up Behimd them on Private property.

And then you can go and do the digging through the laws where they talk about the legalities of projecting different colored lights down in the roadway or being a distraction to motorists, even if the light is Emitting from private property.

John_DeereGreen

PlowSite Fanatic
I wouldn’t be so sure
Have you heard of a thing called a uniform traffic code ?

Ohio
icles, Ohio statute 4513.17 (clause d) states that a law enforcement vehicle is equipped with red and white flashing or rotating lights. Along these same lines, only law enforcement vehicles and other vehicles involved with enforcing criminal and/or traffic law may be allowed to use blue, or blue and white police lights on their vehicles. Those lights can also flash, rotate, or oscillate.

“a flashing, oscillating, or rotating amber light, but shall not display a flashing, oscillating, or rotating light of any other color, nor to vehicles “

This means that you can’t have them on your vehicle regardless if it’s on private or public property . And you’re limited to using Amber even on private property .

Even a security company car cannot use any other color then Amber.
As again they don’t want the security guard to play cop and pull people over.
Just just like they don’t want people to think you’re an emergency vehicle as you’re pulling up Behimd them on Private property.

And then you can go and do the digging through the laws where they talk about the legalities of projecting different colored lights down in the roadway or being a distraction to motorists, even if the light is Emitting from private property.
Your link says nothing about use off of public right of ways.

OP
M

Mudly

yes im familiar with the clause, the clause specifically states streets highways and right of ways. that's why i referred you to it.