1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Illinois Safety Lane Inspections

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Philbilly2, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

To all:

Just wanted to inform you of a house bill (HB3172) that was passed in Illinois to reduce the amount of safety lane inspections you have to do from every 6 months to an annual inspection on some interstate (Illinois operation only) trucks.

https://www.ilnews.org/news/statewi...cle_e8cee758-f560-11e7-870f-f7056e75bbca.html

Took some leg work yesterday but I found a safety lane in my area that is doing the proper annual inspections. Coffman Trucks in Aurora is doing an annual inspection on "D Plated" pickup chassis platforms. I did not aske about bigger platforms so I don't know on those. Trailers are still every 6 months.

This not only saves the axle inspection and sticker fee per power unit per year, but the stupid amount of time spent driving to and sitting in the safety lane to get trucks inspected.

I spoke with my usual safety lane that we go to and he said that he has no knowledge of this HB3172 and he will only give a 6 month sticker. Found this to be the case at 2 other safety lanes that I called. So I am not sure if they are not informed of it or they are not adhering to it do the lost revenue that they will see.

Either way, it is worth a call to your safety lane to see if they are doing annual or bi annual inspections on your trucks.

m_ice likes this.
  2. m_ice

m_ice 2000 Club Member

Good to know!

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

My trucks with DOT numbers get 1 year stickers, and the trailers also.

4. 1olddogtwo

Also with DOT numbers, you can get the federal annual inspections too.

5. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

I just took my d plate and f plate trucks and got the sticker for a year. My L plate truck only was good for 6 months.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do they run out of letters for plates in the People's Republic of Illernoiz?

1olddogtwo likes this.
  7. 1olddogtwo

We use numbers also....... Up to 7 digits.

8. OP
    OP
    Philbilly2

Sorry, I am not a professional so I don't have DOT numbers... :rolleyes:

FredG, 1olddogtwo, BUFF and 1 other person like this.
  9. cjames808

cjames808 Senior Member
    from SE WI

What’s a safety lane?

Really they just want to to inspect your wallet. Make sure there is nothing left after the tolls.

I’d leave, too intrusive.

m_ice likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Philbilly2

So found some more dumb information out yesterday when my guy came back from safety lane with a truck and trailer...

So “B Truck” (under 8,000k gvwr) are still a 6 month inspection... :confused:

This makes no sense to me what so ever.

Under 8k plate, inspection every 6 months,
    But if you plate over 8k lbs, you are annual.:dizzy:

So the heavier your truck is, the less times in a year you need to get it inspected. o_O

Sounds like a good way for Illenerios to get people to pay more to “plate up” a weight class so they can avoid 1 safety inspection a year. payuppayup

11. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran

Crazy how stuff differs from state to state.

Three trucks. My little run around 94 yota has no inspection at all required due to age.

My 92 dodge is registered for 12k, and diesel. No inspection required, unless I pass an open weigh station on highway, then technically I'm supposed to. They tell at me,to get outta here, because I'm generally 4500 lbs under that weight.

Fuso is registered. 14,500. Inspections are again only if passing an open weigh station.

I was pulled over recently for a roadside full inspection. I passed except for medical card. Now I have it registered directly with DMV, so its on file, and any trooper pulling my license has it without me having to carry.

12. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

B plates do not need an inspection. They also have a C plate now.

13. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

Saw one on small work truck. ctruck.gif

14. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

halfway Correct! Unless you are pulling a trailer "with" a sticker. Then you would need one.

Philbilly2 likes this.
  15. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Illinois sucks. The whole state is corn fields and republican except for 1 county that ruins the whole state.

My D plate is annual now. I found that out last month when i stopped in for a renewal.

m_ice likes this.
  16. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

Must be the one county that's republican is Phil's county, where the smart are. Thumbs Up

17. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite Fanatic

Give Chicago to Wisconsin? Problem solved.

ultimate plow, Philbilly2 and m_ice like this.
  18. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

I think he's saying the whole state is Republican other then Cook county...

Philbilly2 and m_ice like this.
  19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Huh?

20. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

My bad then, I took it out of context. You surprised? :laugh: