If anyone doubts pre-salting lots

GeoffD

PlowSite.com Veteran
Ok,

This past storm gave us around 6" of snow. This storm started late moday afternoon, and snowed still mid afternoon tuesday. During late monday afternoon, our commercial accounts recieved a pre treatment of salt. When it came time to start plowing around 2 am tuesday, out lots scraped to bare tar, even the hard pack came up. Only it gets better, that pre treatment held through the day, and when the storm ended we scraped again, and the hard pack came up.

Just a light application early this moring, and all our lots were black and wet. While the other guys were out putting the sand to the hard pack.

Geoff

John DiMartino

PlowSite.com Veteran
I thin layer is all you need,Geoff the pack that you scrape up doesnt even develope when you use the Magic salt,it just gets slushy,and stays that way,you scrape clean no packed snow.Once you start pretreating lots,you quickly find that you wont do it any other way.

John DiMartino

PlowSite.com Veteran
I use magic salt prefferably,but straight salt works great too,Magic just keep the bond from forming even better,IMO.I used to use a hot sand/salt mix,that worked too,it does have to be hot though,at least 25% salt,and you use a lot,but it comes right up,even in high traffic areas.

Top Forums