Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'll be moving to a property that is on a private road (driveway and road would be about 900ft).

I haven't been able to connect with any locals in the area for snow removal services and am preparing to possibly have to handle it myself as there aren't any other homes on the road yet.

I don't have a truck to add a plow to and am wondering if an ATV+plow or lawn tractor+blower would work? Or, any other options to consider?

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In what region area do you live.
Is it flat, hilly or Mountainous?

Is the drive, Wagon ruts, rocky with washouts, smooth compacted gravel, paved?
Great questions! It's actually pretty flat... a very slight incline turning onto the road, but for the most part flat.
It's a dirt road... I'll probably be putting gravel on it this year.
There are some ruts at the entrance from some recent heavy equipment. Again, will need to address that this spring.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great questions! It's actually pretty flat... a very slight incline turning onto the road, but for the most part flat.
It's a dirt road... I'll probably be putting gravel on it this year.
There are some ruts at the entrance from some recent heavy equipment. Again, will need to address that this spring.
Not sure if this helps, but it's on Prince Edward Island... averages about 114" of snowfall a year.

· Registered
58,823 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but it's on Prince Edward Island... averages about 114" of snowfall a year.
And a metric poop ton of drifting.

· Registered
100 Posts
maybe the previous owner has the snowblower. find out the model and go from there
Or maybe the previous owner had somebody plow it for them. If at all possible and this is the case I would find out who was doing it and contact them. If you don’t have the previous owners contact info I’m sure the realtor does. I have found that sometimes sellers will leave a contact list and other times they could care less. Good luck with whatever you decide.

· Registered
2,399 Posts
The property is coming with a small lawn tractor - a John Deere model... not sure exactly which one.
I have extended family on PEI. LOTS of drifting. IMO go to the local fuel stations or hardware and find out who’s best. In the meantime ATV plow is your best friend in your situation unless that tractor is not a garden tractor.

· Registered
3,526 Posts
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'll definitely be reaching out to the previous owners, but at the same time... i think I'll check out some ATV+plow rigs (that also seems like a lot of fun)

Cheers all!
it will only be fun for the first couple of storms, by the end of winter you will be seeking alternatives,

· Super Moderator
43,037 Posts
With an average of 114" a year an ATV with a plow is one peg higher than a shovel. Besides plowing the drive you'd also need to push the snow back quite a way to have a place to put it as the season progresses otherwise the drive way will narrow down to a single track / foot path.
A peg up would be a Kubota RV1100 with a V-Plow for early in the season and a blower when windrows close in and you need to open/widen the drive way along with making room for stacking / piling snow when the plow it used. Big down fall is you'll need to switch from the plow to blower and human nature will take over and you'll leave the blower on which adds time to clearing the driveway.
Ideally a 40hp (min hp) cabbed tractor with a loader mounted plow and a 3pt blower on the back would a good tool to use. Use the plow for most storms and with it being loader mounted you can stack/pile snow much higher than a frame mount plus you can use the bucket to move snow in the stack/pile and for those big storms use the blower and the blower can be used to open/widen the drive and make more room for snow when you plow.
Best solution is hire a contractor to clear the driveway rather than spending $40-50k US for a capable machine to handle any scenario as it would take probably 12-15yrs to be money ahead providing you don't have any major break downs.

· Registered
58,823 Posts
Phile PEI fotos...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts