I NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP FROM VETERANS WHO'VE HAD CHEVY GASSERS And Yes It's My Fault

The Snow Punishers

Ok I Am Very Pressed for Time I'm hoping For a Miracle of someone who happened to have had this ******* Bizarre, Twisted Prohlem.
I Will Respond, I can Take a Joke and Please Help Me If You Can I'll Be Brief.

Truck: 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500hd 6.0 Gasser. 160k miles or potentially 240k due to a douchebags rolling back the ****.

Problem: Intermittent Violent Stalling When "HOT" Only. As Well as MPG Loss Significantly.

Here is My What I Did Section Before You Yell at Me For Making a Help Me Post Lol. Not like I'm asking how to get the local Walmart hahaha.

Oh and this truck ONLY DOES THIS UNDER LOAD LIKE MY PLOW AND SALT LOL. Perfect

So as any budget based guy, I started with ignition. Found 2 Ignition Wire's Boots Weren't Even Properly In Connection With The Plug.
So They're Cheap I Got Some Spark Plugs, Iridium and Gapped to the New .04" mark. Unless that's my problem the old .06" hmm.
Anyway, Then Since 2 Ignition Wire's Were Shot I Just Bought an 8 Pack. Removed it from the Problem. I'm going out in the dark after this post to check the coil packs harnesses etc.
I've had very intermittent codes varying from PCM comm failure to CKP Sensor Performance, to Well Knock too Obviously.
I plugged in my laptop btw highly recommend obdwiz it has a learning curve I'm finding but it is cheap and powerful. Uses computing power through usb. And yes it has a command Section.

So my thoughts....
I need to get to the store maybe Walmart if they even have it point is I don't have a fuel gauge. Just to rule that out. I also just fully cleaned the throttle body but did not replace the

What's Stranger, the Tune-up did Start lowering the lean ltft's but did not fix the problem. I wouldn't say it's getting worse but it is Consistent.

I may have left details out but I'm trying to ******* do some of my contacts do I'm just staying up researching and testing.

Maybe I'm just an idiot feel free to call me one if you give me hekp I greatly appreciate it. Truly.

And I will be responsive on this thread due to urgency so I can test things as their thought of.

I have faith in both you guys busting my balls and giving sound advice where I come from that's a great deal
Tom
The Snow Punishers

Last edited by a moderator:

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
what-the-fuk-did-you-just-say_o_3993775.jpg

Slow down and start over...

You did plugs, but you did not gap them correctly? Is that what I got out of all that?

Have you cleaned your mass air sensor?

Mebes

Intermittent Violent Stalling When "HOT" Only. As Well as MPG Loss Significantly.

ONLY DOES THIS UNDER LOAD LIKE MY PLOW AND SALT LOL. Perfect

I wouldn't say it's getting worse but it is Consistent.

Initial thoughts...
Sounds like an exhaust restriction to me.
I'd probably start with a vacuum gauge, and then maybe a fuel pressure check.

I'm no Chevy guy though so take it with a grain of salt.

Mebes

That was my initial thought...
I have also seen the cat break apart on the inside and plug the muffler back in the early 90's.
Was pretty easy to see with the vacuum gauge as I recall.

Popping off the exhaust right before the cat fixed the problem immediately.

the Suburbanite

PlowSite Veteran
I have also seen the cat break apart on the inside and plug the muffler back in the early 90's.

I heard people used to "rod the cat". Never did it myself.

OP
The Snow Punishers

The Snow Punishers

So: truck listed above.
Ok I read that and I'm surprised you guys didn't rag on me harder lol.
Ok. PROBLEM:
• Intermittent and Seemingly Random Bucking, Loss of All Power and RPM jumps around like a motherfu****. But it Only Does this after the Engine Gets to Full Temp. And additionally, ONLY WHEN I have the Plow on (extra load) and I keep a lot of weight in the bed (salt) . But never had this happen.

• Significant MPG losses.

• CKP Sensor Performance Code Sometimes Appears and I've Also Read From My Laptop anything From a Knock Code to Tranny position.

• Very Low Idle.

• Truck Came With Dual Exhaust Dual Muffler. 3" Unsure if Relevant. This guy who had this truck did not ,Well let's just say ***k him.

So: What I've Attempted:

Was Only at Hot Driving so started working on Ignition. (New Plugs [Iridium, Gapped all to .04"])
• Replaced All Ignition Wire's AcDelco.
- 2 Had Busted Unknowingly so Dod a Tune
Up.
• Thoroughly Cleaned Throttle Body New Gasket.

As For Fuel there is some bullshit*** aftermarket filter I am taking out and putting in ACDelco just because at this point I can't be getting parts that are not True GM for diagnosis.

I'm getting a Gauge today to check Rail Pressure. Both at idle and WOT

I Also thought it Probably isn't the Pump Because it DOES NOT happen with the plow off not once.

Notes:

The Truck Has Thrown a Low Idle Code also twice.
450rpm at idle. I ended up getting a tune just so it powered my alternator (250amp[audio, inverter etc])
This produces 200A at Idle or is Rated Too. Custom made.

I am on here because I don't have enough to take it in, I follow feedback very well and am confident the knowledge on this site will help solve this.
I also can't afford to keep replacing parts

Better? Lmao:plowblue:

OP
The Snow Punishers

The Snow Punishers

Initial thoughts...
Sounds like an exhaust restriction to me.
I'd probably start with a vacuum gauge, and then maybe a fuel pressure check.

I'm no Chevy guy though so take it with a grain of salt.

Hey thanks for the tip. How would I properly diagnose it if it's intermittent or would that not matter? Appreciate it

OP
The Snow Punishers

The Snow Punishers

Hmm interesting possibility... I'm a novice at vacuum systems I have a gauge how can I properly diagnose this specifically? Thank you so much

Top Forums