Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So was plowing early this morning in NNJ... the 8in was heavier then I guess I thought. The right ram where it connects to the blade experienced a weld failure and disconnected.... At least its a clean break from what I saw and it was at the end of plowing so I got lucky. So I need to get it fixed as there is more snow on the way possibly for this weekend. What have you guys/gals found to be the best approach to something like this repair wise? There is a plow shop near me would they be the best place to take this to be fixed or should I find a welding shop? Thanks in advance for your advise..

· Registered
2,208 Posts
Let me give you a hint if you are going to take it somewhere. DO NOT take it in the condition you have it. Clean wash the plow off. Also take the cylinder and pin off before taking it in. The more prep you can do a head of time the better for both you $$ and the person doing the work. I can't tell you how many times I get greasy grimy stuff to weld. I just pass the extra $$ onto the customer to prep for the job, simple or not. Time is time.

· Registered
60,265 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To me, anything above Rt.78 is north Jersey. I have been to Smith Brothers, nice people. He could be up by High Point, or over the other side of the state in gang country.
Exactly... sorry for the local nomenclature I live in Passaic county now used to live in Union County. Smith Brothers is a 30 min drive from me and he rebuilt my E60 last year. That's were I was going to go as I know he is the only Meyer's shop in my area and as such he is usually very busy as he still reskins plows. I have a local shop in Hawthorne NJ called FDR Hitch and Plow also but they are more a western and Fischer shop. I suppose either would be a good place to start.

· Registered
60,265 Posts
He needs sector, not the A frame. I am curious also as to how this actually happened since they are single acting rams. They don't pull in to rip that mount off.
Clean break=poor weld.

· Registered
7,605 Posts
That unit looks a bit tired. Maybe next year is a year to refresh it by rebuilding, or replace outright . Parts still available for that unit ? Not a yellow plow owner.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.