Hydraulic fluid for Meyers E47 pump

wsmm

I'm currently using the recommended hydraulic fuild in my Meyers E47 unit. It's on a 79 Dodge Ramcharger. Purchasing either the Meyer's brand of a generic fuild is rather expensive. Does anyone out there use anything besides the recommended fuild? If so what do you use? If I knew the chemical makeup and what's it's base was I might have someone that could locate a substitute. If you use an alternative fuild have you experienced any problems because of it?

Thanks..
BIll

firefighter

Fluid

I use to have a myers 7'6" angle plow on my truck. I used Transmission oil and so did other people in my area. I now run a V 8'2" boss. :rolleyes:

Garagekeeper

Fluids

Stay with the recomended fluids, they are designed for low temperature operation and contain rust inhibitors and non foaming agents, and are really what your pump needs. Your pump; motor and valves will work easier with less current draw. Just about all the plow manufactures call for use of a quality low temp hydraulic fliud in their power units. :rolleyes: John

Ohiosnow

Meyer fluid

it's all I ever used as I got it at dealer cost. I now have a BOSS plow & have a in for getting it at a very good price.

If the generic brand has all the same extras in it then I see no reason not to use it. :waving:

PS: I never had half the problems that my buddy had with his generic fluid in his Meyer ;) but I always thought it was him, like not flushing everthing. :eek:

Garagekeeper

Other Fluids

No as long as it meets or exceides their specs. I use Kendall's Glacier Blue low temp hydraulic fluid in "all" my new installs, and have for more than eigth years. During service schools this was addressed many times, they really just what you to use a quality low temp hydraulic fluid. Sure they all would like you to use their brand fluids but did not have a problem with using someone else's, as long as it met the spec.:rolleyes: John

reondo

I drained and flushed with kerosene now I need to add hydro fluid. I use a hydrotran hydro fluid for me case DX 35 backhoe will this work

reondo

Also can I use a thin piece of wood to measure the 1 1/2 inch from the top of the pump. Approximately how much fluid does the 47 pump require

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
No idea what the viscosity of that fluid is, but the answer is probably no. Implement hydraulic fluid is usually way too thick for plow use. Break open the wallet and buy the right fluid if you want the plow to work.

Aerospace Eng

2000 Club Member
Many plow fluids are basically Mil-PRF-5606. I posted a long winded reply earlier this month....

https://www.plowsite.com/threads/meyer-diamond-edge-hydraulic-fluid-ontario.174917/

It's unclear as to what M-1 actually is...…

In 2007, it was an ISO 4 hydraulic fluid (see section 9)

http://www.beilerhydraulics.com/msd...int/MY15134 Myer Hydraulic Fluid Type M-1.pdf

Today, it appears to basically be an iso 32 fluid.

http://ww2.meyerproducts.com/upload/forms/Meyer Hydraulic Fluid Type M-1 MSDS 12-16-10.pdf

Some ads claim that M-1 meets Mil-PRF-5606

https://berwynlawnmower.com/pre-owned/meyer-hydraulic-fluid-m1-quart/

However, neither of the MSDSs I found for M-1 would meet the Mil-PRF-5606 specification, which is for an iso 13 or so fluid.

http://everyspec.com/MIL-PRF/MIL-PRF-000100-09999/MIL-PRF-5606H_5993/

I'd never say not to use a manufacturer's fluid, but I also think for most plow applications 5606 would be fine. Boss plow fluid is an ISO 15 fluid.

5606 is available from Aircraft Spruce, your local oil jobber, and other fine retailers.....

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
synthetic ATF like atf +4.....or
Any hydraulic fluid /UTO with at least a AW32
Vis

Your plow pump couldn’t be any more simple, there’s not much to wear out in there.
special Meyer hydraulic fluid is not needed.

They didn’t use special seals that are going to be damaged by any of these other fluids .
Power units are all basically the same

Last edited:

kimber750

PlowSite Fanatic
Have had many Meyer pumps come in for rebuild that had ATF in them. Most the time it was cheaper to replace the pump than rebuild it. Guessing cold ATF puts a lot of extra load on pump and motor. Not saying pumps haven't been trashed using Meyer spec fluid, just seemed to be more common on those that were not using it. The real question is, is that $15-20 you saved worth having the pump quit during a storm?

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
The concern is why are Meyer pumps
Wearing out quicker....
As atf has always been a common
substitute .

Could it be cheap pumps made in China?
Junk in the system from assembly?

Don’t blame synthic atf as it has a lower pour point.

Or We would be running Meyer fluid in our transmissions in our trucks as it’s a superior hydraulic fluid...

Whatever you dealers need to push fluid off the shelves.

As the nearest dealer with spec fluid for my plow is over a hr away on a good day ,driving there...yeah ,,,it is cost prohibitive.

I have plows made by 3 different mfg
One is over 30yrs old , it has used ATF from when it blew its first hose.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
The concern is why are Meyer pumps
Don’t blame synthic atf as it has a lower pour point.
You keep talking about synthetic ATF. You do realize that not all ATF is synthetic, right?

Or are you just assuming that every random guy who refuses to buy plow fluid and wants to use the random half empty qt in his garage must have synthetic for some reason?