Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been humbled once again by my E-47. I picked up the Blazer/plow combo for 250$, guy said it used to run(they all used to run.....) Diaged a fuel pump and bing, no problems with the truck. However, the E47 has been an absolutely humbling. In the Fall, everything worked great, first snow, plow wouldn't go up. I pulled the unit and drained the fluids which looked to contain water. Refilled and she worked again.

Fast forward 2 months, and the plow will not go up again. The fluid level(ATF +4) is full and I've drained the system again. I've replaced the B coil(not valve) figuring it was a cheap gamble. I can hear the pump motor turn and the solenoids click but the blade will go left and right, no issues but when I push UP, the blade angles right? I was under the impression the system would default left? Any advice would be greatly appreciated from all you wise gurus out there.

thanks again.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies! I removed all valves and the moved freely as the diagrams indicated. I’m a bit curious if the motor or pump is having problems. The vehicle would start to die when trying to lift the plow, so I’m thinking it may be drawing too many amps.

· Registered
8,294 Posts
How cold is it there? What do they filters look like? Can you angle the plow by hand when hoses are still connected? Still seeing any sign of water in fluid? Dry gas is a good temp fix. Can also try putting a little heat to PA block, heat gun works best. If pump is running against relief it will draw a good of amps and your trucks charging system may not be up to the task. Any meyer dealer should be able to load test the motor.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Temps have been between 0-35f. Filters are in pretty rough shape to say the least. I have a couple on order. I haven’t moving the plow left/right by hand as the blade is on the ground. I don’t see any signs of water on the previous drain. I’ll pull unit again and keep it inside for a couple days to see if it will thaw anything out.

· Registered
8,294 Posts
Temps have been between 0-35f. Filters are in pretty rough shape to say the least. I have a couple on order. I haven't moving the plow left/right by hand as the blade is on the ground. I don't see any signs of water on the previous drain. I'll pull unit again and keep it inside for a couple days to see if it will thaw anything out.
With out taking these pumps apart you can't get all the fluid out of them. And since water is heavier than oil the water stays in the bottom. What was on the filters? Try heating the pump up and see if it come to life.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Kimber. I’ll yank the unit off tomorrow and throw a heater on it for a day or so and see if there is any change. The filters have a split about .5 inches in each side, so I’m sure their filtering ability is minimal :)

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well no dice on this drain/thaw. I've thrown a heater on the unit for about 6 hours, reinstalled- same issue. I did notice that I can manually pull the ram out, but there is no resistance on up or down, normal?

· Registered
8,294 Posts
Normal to be able to move ram up but shouldn't go all the way down because it will suck fluid in when pulling it up. Sounds like packing cup is shot if it is really easy to move. May be time for a rebuild. Pay very close attention to sump base, if water was allowed to freeze in there very common to crack the base inside.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I rebuilt the packing cup as it was definitely worn as well as the filters. I scavenged a used electric motor and borrowed a b coil/valve and unfortunately still having same issue. Plow goes left to right but goes right when pushing the up button.

I’m going to throw my power probe on the a solenoid and see if it’s a signal issue, but it really seems to a fluid delivery issue. I’ve cleaned out the passages that I can access without pulling the valve body. Any other ideas?

· Registered
8,294 Posts
Try these couple of quick tests. Disconnect all the wires for the valves and press up, which way does the plow go? Should be left. If it doesn't you have the hoses backwards, stuck valve or damaged PA block. If it does go left connect the green wire from control harness to the red coil wire. Press right, should go up. If it does you have a bad control or a short in the harness.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.