Howdy! New To industry

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Cali.5Ton, Jan 7, 2020.

1. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

Hope you stalked up on pizzas and Chinese food...

2. OP
    OP
    Cali.5Ton

Cali.5Ton Member

Cookies and milk for us.

You’d think id have a couple quartz of hydraulic fluid . That’d be too prepared lol.

3. leigh

leigh PlowSite Veteran
    from CT

I hope you have tire chains ! Is it even possible to plow that amount of snow in a half ton pickup ? You go 10 ' and you have snow over your hood ! Hope you survive Thumbs Up

Cali.5Ton likes this.
  4. Hydromaster

Hydromaster 2000 Club Member
    from 406

Your Pic have Blurry spots and that don’t show us much of anything,

You can check for loose hoses yourself.
    Take the cover off and have a helper watch for leaks as you or them run the plow threw it’s paces.
    Or take it to your dealer for warranty work.

Cali.5Ton likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Cali.5Ton

Cali.5Ton Member

NO tire chains.
    Lol
    I am going to shovel my way to the road..........and clean off truck my
    Thanks guys. I’ll check the hoses also bring to dealer

leigh likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Cali.5Ton

Cali.5Ton Member

SHoveled out after. Had an extra body, toook a hour or two. . Then dropped buddy off and came back and this tractor was working on a few neighbours . He offered to move some snow. Lol wasn’t really any where to put it . . . .

Everything seems fine on system draws a lot of power from system.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anndddd after I shoveled access to truck this tractor brought it down to to the pavement nearly lol. Incredible.......

So can I just buy a higher amp battery ? Will that help a little ? Even keeping a second one on hand...

Brndnstffrd and Avalanche 2500 like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Cali.5Ton

Cali.5Ton Member

Hey,
    It aPpears to be top of reservoir , a filter maybe is gone? It’s leaking out the top.

Maybe too much air . Can I bleed a bit without refilling ?

First day out
    Learning quite a bit.

I need to learn to build ramps to load a shovel much As possible. Making ramps....I need a quick couple tips to make mountains. I come in with a cut and slowly raise plow right before hitting mound.....I think I can figure it out theoretically, I keep it low As as possible about bonnet height and keep pushing past that area making a flat mound and compact snow to drive ontop of for more height and repeat.

I accidentally kept my eye off trans temp..over heated to about. 130and **** it off then let iet cool and back to normal got lucky.

8. OP
    OP
    Cali.5Ton

Cali.5Ton Member

Well, it was a seal on the motor it was leaking out of. It drained completely pretty much today. Both rams could be pushed in with minimal force, at start of day i Could push it in 1.5” each side with my Body weight.

Distributor / local dealer had me in immediately and went to work as soon as I pulled up..
    They run a very serious business, I can’t imagined the dedication they must have to theyre customers. .. large western dealer in area that gets winter for almost 6months of the year lol

I’m assumimg it was a factory issue on asembly or something...time will tell.

EWSplow likes this.
  9. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Awesome...

Cali.5Ton likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Cali.5Ton

Cali.5Ton Member

Just want to say thanks all for positive comments leading up to my first season...

Second snow event, first one was catastrophic. This one was good for me. It was about 20cm of snow followed by 10-20mm of rain, Making the snow heavier than concrete so no one wanted to be shoveling.
    It was mostly build up from municipal plows....

I snapped a few crappy pics of a few resi’s I did. Lol hard to really tell , but I did pretty well.. widened up a few driveways. . . .
    The plow is holding up great....I think I spilt all the over fill. Not leaking. Much fluid anymore......and also since I turned the smooth stop OFF I haven’t had much leakage,

[​IMG]
    This was a easy one...I finding I spend a lot of time on the driveways , but I a learning and doing a really good job to ensure customer satisfaction....this is only a couple I snapped mid way lol.

This one was on a narrow busy street during the time rush hour before super bowl and when snow was turning to rain, I could barely fit up driveways once I managed to turn around on busy street to get angle to pull into the driveway....and high snow Banks at bottom so couldn’t see let to right backing out...took me almost 45 min, and it’s a incline.....really **** spot...
    I did another sweep after , it was bad though I widened It.
    [​IMG]

This one I did for a friend, was right before. Stop sign on a busy intersection , I widened it as well as they just have a single car driveway with a small car. Once again the street are narrow so getting the right angle to attack the driveway is a lot of backing up and reversing I wish I had my 4.7l Dakota 5.5ft box on the go , next year.
    Looks a bit messy lol but that what happens when it goes from 20cm to 20mm of rain and +4 celcious throughout 12hours. Yes I did a final sweep lol
    [​IMG]

.....not the cleanest looking pictures but everyone was happy just to have them done. They aren’t easy driveways, except the first pic...

I did a handful of others too.

I WENT back to one today to finish and Salt. And I had to move a seniors car and I slipped on ice like a banana peel and went right back and gave my self a huge knock to the skull.... I blacked out memory wise 30min before and after . I just sat in driveway for 30 min to grasp....but went straight home after finishing...

Most of the driveways are pack ice from previous snow storm...

Oh well. I’m learning and liking it! It’s not easy work what so ever.

11. Fourteen Contracting Inc.

Fourteen Contracting Inc. Senior Member

I started out on a two man walkway crew with a guy who used to work in snow in nfld.
    We had a record snow total for the season that year. I would comment on how much snow we were getting. He would just laugh at me and tell me stories... seems he wasn't really embellishing them haha. I'm glad you're liking it.

Cali.5Ton likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Cali.5Ton

Cali.5Ton Member

Hey all...
    Sooo..

Bought a western midweight from only western distributors in province.

They installed.
    It was leaking fluid 12 hours after I got it. Did zero plowing first 12 hours.
    Dripping right down the reservoir tank from the top.

I brought it back immediately. Dropped it off, they caLled one our later. Said I could come get it.

Said it was a pump seal.....

Took off....straight home ,no plowing . Next day , still leaking...I told them, and i said I dont know if it still over fill or something, and I haven’t no plowed with it, so they Said well let US know if it keeps leaking.....I used it throughout week moderately, leaking everywhere I dropped it and in My driveway. I used it until it was pretty well leaked empty’s, It could barely move the angle Rams left or right .

So I dropped it there, and I left it with them all weekend, Friday through Mondays called around 4pm they said I could come get it’...

Stupidly I never asked any questions as to why this is happening and is it normal, which il Be asking tomorrow’s.

So anyway, the same thing, after them having it for 3days workings on it. They gave it’ back i. Evening, sitting dropped on ground . Didn’t see any leakage...I got home . Dropped the blade. Came out in morning, blue streaks down over the pump model number and ground and now all over above top of reservoir....

Again I emailed asking saying I don’t want to bother But I’m abit concerned...said I would use it and let them know if it stopped...

It didn’t , i changed it to disable smoothe stop, which I noticed reduced the leakage. But still leaked...

I used it maybe 1snow event and cleaning up my property. It drained completly again now, barely any fluid to angle it......
    As the system was getting low on fluid. I would angle it left to right to get the rams stiff, and I was hearing squeaking, I imagine it was remaining fluid filling up angle rams, as after back and forthee 6-7 times I could go push either side and the rams were stiff.

So now,
    I need to go to the shop and ask what’s is going on.

Did I get a lemon? Can I get a replacement ? Is this normal?? I can’t imagine it to be Normal having to go to shop 3timez in 3 weeks.....on a $10,000CAD plow..
    Either they are playing game s and jus to filling up the tank when I come in, or they don’t know to propelty replace a pump seal kit
    And ,which SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN SOLD TO ME WITHOUT BEING FACTORY TESTED OR TESTED BEFORE SALE....

I havve off the road 25 days of the last 29 since I bought it.

DO I contact western or ask them to. This is not how a hydraulic plow is supposed to operate. ..the reservoir says change fluids yearly. Those would imply NO leakage.....not 3 fills.

It’s two year warranty’s.... I can’t afford to be had....
    Any suggestions? I work in a business with leaks ans dealing with customeds. It’s frustrating. I am being very patient but this is becoming unacceptable.

Any helP or advice?

13. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you got a lemon and your plow dealer is a moron.

Cali.5Ton likes this.