how well does fluidfilm hold up to underbody washing

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by Boosted Thrills, Feb 27, 2015.

1. OnTheFarm

OnTheFarm Member

I find that one good coating a year gets me through the season no problem. I rinse my trucks undercarriage often, but only with a hose. Not with high pressure. I worry mostly about inside the frame rails and all the other inaccessible hidden areas of the undercarriage. Even if you use high pressure rinse it is not going to remove the Fluid Film in the rails and the hidden protected areas. I can always touch up the low hanging exposed areas in about 10 minutes. I do a full undercoating in the fall using the attachments that came with this Fluid Film Gun, and than I may do one or two quick touch-ups during the winter. I don't even clean the gun because the Fluid Film does not harden. Whenever I feel the need for a touch-up I just plug in the air and shoot it. I do the same with my trailers and machines. The Fluid Film in the gallons goes on a lot thicker than the spray cans in my opinion.

I read on another forum that some guys were complaining that Fluid Film washes off easily, and it turns out that they were being sold the much thinner Fluid Film formula as an undercoating product. You have to be careful what you buy. I see sellers on Ebay all the time selling the thinner stuff. You can tell the difference by the color.
    [​IMG]

2. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Fluid Film puts them in identical buckets. They could label them a little better. I do like the stuff though and use it for other things too. I keep a Wagner 110v sprayer loaded with it.

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

looking to undercoat my truck with ff what's the correct part number

4. OnTheFarm

OnTheFarm Member

The formula is "NAS" for undercoating. On the 5 gallon pails it's stamped clearly on the top of the Lid. On the gallons it is not marked at all. I order from kellsport products and have it shipped to a package warehouse near the border because Fluid Film is way overpriced in Canada. Fluid Film is all that they do, free shipping, and their service is excellent. They answer the phone when you call them too ! If you are just starting check out the Fluid Film undercoating kits. It's got everything you need.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  5. OP
    OP
    Boosted Thrills

Boosted Thrills Junior Member

the truck I want to use this on is a 1 ton dump. I wanted something that washes off relatively easy if I need to work on the truck. ill give FF a try next fall. ill order the pro gun. how much is needed to do complete underside of truck, cab, frame, bed?

6. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

With the pro-gun it goes alot further. I did two trucks with a gallon. Buy the kit, you'll get two gallons. I invested in the flexible 360 wand also.

7. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Careful boys...been told it also cuts and washes off the factory undercoating. I bought some with intention of undercoating....till I did research! I do use it on my plows and it does work great!

8. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

What factory undercoating. At best you get a mediocre coat of paint. Some things don`t even get that.

9. ratherbfishin

Really...my trucks have a nice coat on the frame etc.

10. bob1008

bob1008 Junior Member
    from ma

The newer GM Silverado and Sierra series do have a wax undercoating on the undercarriage that does not respond well to Fluid Film. If you apply Fluid Film on top of this GM wax undercoating, it will all fall off within a few days. The factory undercoating is a short term solution and will start to deteriorate and fall off within the 1st year. It's a soft mushy wax that you can push in with your finger. Most undercoaters recommend to their customers that they wait until the factory wax starts to break down before applying Fluid Film. Some apply Fluid Film on all the areas not protected by the GM wax and do the full undercarriage later on. You'll notice that Fluid Film now has the following disclaimer on the labels.

"Fluid Film may soften some vehicle undercoatings. This includes undercoating type paints. Check with dealer/vehicle manufacturer as to compatibility."

11. ratherbfishin

Yup....exactly correct! Soft waxy crap that comes off in chunks. Truly amazing what 40 grand gets ya today!

12. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

I just had my new Ram 2500 done here with their clear film. Very happy with the results!
    www.NHoilundercoating.com Their package #2.

13. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I think this stuff is a bit overrated personally. Ive had better luck with having my truck shot with motor oil but to each their own.

14. EurekaJC

EurekaJC Sponsor
    from 94080

fluid film is washed off with detergents or a heated high pressure washer. the product when applied will soak into the pores and continue to protect. at the SIMA show most of our clients say they spray before and after the season, sometimes once in the middle depending on conditions. when it is applied as an undercoating wash it with a hose to knock the visable salt and sand off.

miketturbo likes this.
  15. EurekaJC

EurekaJC Sponsor
    from 94080

GMC does offer an undercoating that fluid film will penetrate and will make it fall off. be sure to call your dealership before using Fluid Film to ensure the product will work its best. Fluid Film is not recommended over existing undercoatings.

16. EurekaJC

EurekaJC Sponsor
    from 94080

Fluid film will not readily wash away. if you are power washing with heated water or detergents it will come off. most people use it before the season and once after but depending on the winter you might re-apply mid winter to ensure the protection of your equipment.

17. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Senior Member

See my new post/review

18. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

With the advent of Ford now making its 1/2 Tons & now SuperDuties from Aluminum I wonder if the other makers will follow suit. It's amazing that in 2015 we still have to worry about rust on rigs costing upwards of 40K.

19. EurekaJC

EurekaJC Sponsor
    from 94080

Fluid Film also prevents pitting on alluminum

20. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Best way to wash off the salt without removing too much FF is to use Salt Away. I started using this last year, does an amazing job. No need to pressure wash, so most of the FF will stay in place.