Snow Plowing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Dismount/Mount Plow and Hydraulics

7K views 53 replies 17 participants last post by  Mike_PS 
#1 ·
I'm a 16 year old high school student with a 2000 F250. It is an Extended Cab, 8 Ft Bed with the legendary 7.3 diesel. I have been looking into getting into plowing and i just got an opportunity to get a plow, but I have a few questions.
I found a truck on Craigslist that I was going to buy and part out. The Actual frame of the truck broke when the guy was plowing and now the truck itself is trashed. It is an 8 ft Fischer Stainless Steel plow. My question is, how hard and what work is involved in removed the plow and hydraulics from the one truck, and installing it on my truck. I imagine the plow would be bolted and welded onto the main frame of the truck, so i would have to unbolt it and use a grinder to cut the weld to get it off the truck, then would i have to rebolt and reweld it to my truck? Really in the dark here so i could be totally wrong. Thanks - Alex

#3 ·
What do you intend to plow with it? You're not going to want to hear this, but you're too young to plow. Liability insurance is a must, and nobody's going to insure a 16 year old to plow. You've JUST started to drive legally, and you want to throw a plow into the mix? You're bound to hit something. It's a part of learning. I don't recommend learning to plow while you're still learning to drive.

#4 ·
Plan on plowing Residential Driveways that i can get gigs for on Craigslist with no insurance. Ive done residential lawn care without insurance. Lived on a farm my whole life, I trailer horse trailers and have plowed with ATV's and such before and am not worried about hitting anything. Just wondering how I would be able to remove it from a truck and re-attach. How much would a dealer charge? Thanks for the concern and reply.

#6 ·
Adcaplan8;2106929 said:
Plan on plowing Residential Driveways that i can get gigs for on Craigslist with no insurance. Ive done residential lawn care without insurance. Lived on a farm my whole life, I trailer horse trailers and have plowed with ATV's and such before and am not worried about hitting anything. Just wondering how I would be able to remove it from a truck and re-attach. How much would a dealer charge? Thanks for the concern and reply.
Oh to be young, dumb, and naive again.

My insurance man hooks and unhooks my plow.

#8 ·
If your asking how hard it is.....you shouldn't be doing it.
Your leaving out a lot of details as well.

#10 · (Edited)
Go ask your dad.

What is your truck like?
Does it have a lift?
Big tires?
Stacks to roll clouds of coal?

Next, no insurance.:laughing:
Ho,I woun't hit anything :dizzy:

So who pays for that Gerage door, porch, car, or kid you hit or back into of tha broken hip when someone
Falls becuse of somthing you did or didn't do?
Hint,
Your prarents will,
And lord forbid you hurt someone they could sue your prarents for everything they own and win.:waving:

Have fun, good luck.
Don't lowball.

But gee I just want to earn enough a few extra $$ on cragslist

Kettle corn Food Popcorn Ingredient Recipe

#11 ·
I admire your ambition at 16 when most kids dont want to leave the house. There are 3 main components to the plow, (1) the plow itself that detatches from the truck side mount, (2) the truck side mount and this is vehicle specific, (3) truck side wire harness and this is vehicle specific. So on the vehicle specific items if the truck your buying isnt the same as the truck you have they wont match up.

#12 ·
LapeerLandscape;2106978 said:
I admire your ambition at 16 when most kids dont want to leave the house. There are 3 main components to the plow, (1) the plow itself that detatches from the truck side mount, (2) the truck side mount and this is vehicle specific, (3) truck side wire harness and this is vehicle specific. So on the vehicle specific items if the truck your buying isnt the same as the truck you have they wont match up.
And everything should be bolted on.. no welding involved

#13 ·
If you live on a farm and really want to start plowing, buy the plow hire someone that knows what they are doing to swap the mount and wiring for you (probably somewhere between $300-$600) and then plow on your farm for a couple years. This will get you some real experience and when you turn 18 you should be able you get insurance and start a business if you still enjoy it.

Just my .02

#16 ·
xgiovannix12;2107149 said:
someone pass some popcorn
only if you bring some beer. :laughing:

Love when these young kids think we are just a$$holes and just defy an real information we give them because they think they can do the work we do.

For being someone who grew up on a farm you shouldn't be this stupid in all honesty.

#17 ·
kolwnmstr;2107208 said:

Love when these young kids think we are just a$$holes and just defy an real information we give them because they think they can do the work we do.

For being someone who grew up on a farm you shouldn't be this stupid in all honesty.
Beer for every 1 :drinkup: sadly the OP cant drink hes under age :nono:

#20 ·
kolwnmstr;2107208 said:

They THINK they can do the work you do? Who are you, superman? If I ever make a statement like that I hope someone hits me with something so heavy they need help to lift it. I've spent too much time around young men who can work circles around so called contractors to ever make such a foolish statement. The kid needs good info and encouragement not a BS attitude.

#21 ·
jhenderson9196;2107270 said:
They THINK they can do the work you do? Who are you, superman? If I ever make a statement like that I hope someone hits me with something so heavy they need help to lift it. I've spent too much time around young men who can work circles around so called contractors to ever make such a foolish statement. The kid needs good info and encouragement not a BS attitude.
He was given advice. He was told that he is too young to be properly insured and he threw the advice back saying that he doesn't need it because he wouldn't hit anything.

So don't tell me how to treat him when he is like every other kid who comes on here asking for advice and then tells us off.

#22 · (Edited)
Exactly. jhenderson9196, would you want a 16 year old uninsured kid plowing your property who's NEVER plowed in a truck before? Your statement was ignorant as hell. Please tell me, exactly how a 16 year old who has never plowed before will "run circles" around the rest of us so called contractors??? If you don't have insurance you have no business being in a plow truck, period.

#23 ·
It wasn't that the kid was right. It was the arrogance of the klown that got to me. Of all the responses only a couple were of any value. The rest were self agrandising drivel that passes fo advice here at times. Simply trying to make them feel good about themselves by belittling someone else. There's no lower form of gratification. If you don't want to encourage a young man who wants to learn you could at least have the common decency remain silent.

#24 ·
jhenderson9196;2107350 said:
It wasn't that the kid was right. It was the arrogance of the klown that got to me. Of all the responses only a couple were of any value. The rest were self agrandising drivel that passes fo advice here at times. Simply trying to make them feel good about themselves by belittling someone else. There's no lower form of gratification. If you don't want to encourage a young man who wants to learn you could at least have the common decency remain silent.
I was not going to post but had to now as I agree with you.

The kid has a possible good opportunity (living on a farm) to grow into a business some day IF he is a go getter. I was driving farm/construction equipment at age 10 on my folks farm and this kid could possibly be doing the same thing. Some of that equipment is a lot more technical than a snowplow truck. Lol...

He should look into the insurance thing though. These days with all the sue happy people I would be nervous as hell.

#25 ·
I don't believe I said a single derogatory thing to the kid. Simply that he wasn't going to get insurance at his age, and that I didn't recommend learning how to plow at the same time that he's learning how to drive legally on State/County roads.

#26 ·
All I was asking for was a little advice on how to unattached and reattach a plow. Wasn't sure if there was welding involved or just bolts, which I now believe it is mainly bolted on. Wasn't asking for advice on insurance and what not and not saying I wont hit anything, because I'm not perfect. I'm confident enough to plow without insurance and pay up if and when i hit something.
And to the guy who figured I was a bonehead kid with a big jacked up truck.... Both the 6.0 and 7.3 are all stock except for the exhaust systems and Chips. Thanks for your concern about insurance, but I can handle that if and when it comes down to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.