1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

how -to.........business name???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pwrjnky, Oct 27, 2009.

  1. pwrjnky

    pwrjnky Senior Member
    Messages: 138

    I'm starting to do snow removal this year. I've plowed in the past for other people, but I now have my own plow. I want to throw contact info on my truck and do a little advertising, but need to call myself something. Can I throw any name (untaken obviously) on the side of my truck? Or do I have to register the name somehow? Thanks:help:
  2. GPS

    GPS Senior Member
    from MA
    Messages: 268

    If I want to operate a business out of my town, I have to register with the town. Whether that's the same in MI or not, I can't say. Stop by your town clerk's office and ask. He or she should be able to get you any info you need or tell you who to see.
  3. pwrjnky

    pwrjnky Senior Member
    Messages: 138

    Thanks...I'll check with them today.
  4. buckwheat_la

    buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,254

    you register names my friend, i don't know what it is like in the states but here you usually can't even open a bank account without a trade name, (not to be mistaken with incorporating) , all it really is, is to make sure that no one else in your local area is using the same name, and that your bank won't get checks confused with another companies.
  5. pwrjnky

    pwrjnky Senior Member
    Messages: 138

    thanks guys. I just called my county clerks office and i just have to go in and sign a form and pay a $10.00 fee.
  6. Mick76

    Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine
    Messages: 2,157

    If your going to start a business and you don't want to be taken for everything you've worked so hard to acheive, then talk with lawyer and set up some sort of entity...llc, s corp, ect..... cover your a$$... costs a few bucks but in my opinion it $ very well spent
  7. pwrjnky

    pwrjnky Senior Member
    Messages: 138

    Can you explain that? taken? Why? should I just advertise plow for hire then and have them write check or pay me personally? I just wanted to advertise plowing under some sort of name.
  8. asps4u

    asps4u Senior Member
    Messages: 543

    Here are some links to help you get started in Michigan. The first one will walk you through step-by-step of starting a business and registering with the state, and will help you fill out all the necessary forms and calculate the fee based on what kind of company you are starting. This is how I did it, and it saved me a ton of money from using an attorney. I do have a business attorney for my other businesses and asked him about it, and he said that everything I need is on there. The others will help you research what all you need to do that pertains to your specific needs. Good Luck. :drinkup:



  9. Mick76

    Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine
    Messages: 2,157

    slip and fall liability... people are sue happy
  10. pwrjnky

    pwrjnky Senior Member
    Messages: 138

    Thanks for the links
  11. grandview

    grandview PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,609

    Keep business and personal separate. Checks made out to business ,checks written on business to you.And don't for get to withhold taxes ,unless you want a big surprise at the end of the year.

    EPPSLLC Senior Member
    Messages: 209

    Let me know when you need lettering I can take care of ya..