Snow Plowing Forum banner
241 - 258 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
well boys figured I would give a small update. Season has been slow here in the Catskill Mountains of New York. We have received two "plowable" events. The first was a little 3 inch clipper and the second was the 12+ storm we received a little over a week ago.

The first small plow was good to learn on and the second one had me out at 130am plowing some deep snow and roads were not even touched. I went out a couple times for that storm and was definitely stressed driving in middle of the blizzard. However I made good money and looking back after i made it through it was kind of "enjoyable" if that makes sense. Hard to describe but now I am looking forward to next event not just for the money but I had fun plowing.

This current noreaster is going to completely miss us not even a dusting but hoping february/beginning of march we can get another 2-3.

Looking at next year I think when i get second truck I will invest in salter/sander because the ice management could have kept me pretty busy.

ANyway slow season but have learned a ton from triggers, how to plow, and deal with clients.

Hope everyone is safe and thanks as always for the help.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Reading back I'm surprised about such low triggers for residential. I charge per push... I can't imagine how much it would cost the customer, Nor can I imagine how I would even do that even with just 10 driveways with a 1-2" trigger. Does it really vary that much by region? I need New England guys here to chime in?

For me, 2" is plowable and my trigger is typically 3". Sometimes I push more if it's light and fluffy, But that's kind of rare here lately.

·
Banned
984 Posts
well boys figured I would give a small update. Season has been slow here in the Catskill Mountains of New York. We have received two "plowable" events. The first was a little 3 inch clipper and the second was the 12+ storm we received a little over a week ago.

The first small plow was good to learn on and the second one had me out at 130am plowing some deep snow and roads were not even touched. I went out a couple times for that storm and was definitely stressed driving in middle of the blizzard. However I made good money and looking back after i made it through it was kind of "enjoyable" if that makes sense. Hard to describe but now I am looking forward to next event not just for the money but I had fun plowing.

This current noreaster is going to completely miss us not even a dusting but hoping february/beginning of march we can get another 2-3.

Looking at next year I think when i get second truck I will invest in salter/sander because the ice management could have kept me pretty busy.

ANyway slow season but have learned a ton from triggers, how to plow, and deal with clients.

Hope everyone is safe and thanks as always for the help.
Wow... you're close to where I live possibly. The snow has been way too low I think.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Wow... you're close to where I live possibly. The snow has been way too low I think.
Reading back I'm surprised about such low triggers for residential. I charge per push... I can't imagine how much it would cost the customer, Nor can I imagine how I would even do that even with just 10 driveways with a 1-2" trigger. Does it really vary that much by region? I need New England guys here to chime in?

For me, 2" is plowable and my trigger is typically 3". Sometimes I push more if it's light and fluffy, But that's kind of rare here lately.
Not sure I follow?
I plow anything over 2 inches within reasons meaning if it snowed 2/3 inches but was going melt then next day I wouldn't take advantage of people.
I have a price for 2-6 inches (one push) and 6-12 inches. Typically on the larger storms I've been going out twice.

·
Registered
58,644 Posts
Not sure I follow?
I plow anything over 2 inches within reasons meaning if it snowed 2/3 inches but was going melt then next day I wouldn't take advantage of people.
I have a price for 2-6 inches (one push) and 6-12 inches. Typically on the larger storms I've been going out twice.
Take advantage of people? Forecasts are 100% accurate?

Wow!

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Yeah, well back in the 1950's Sullivan County and Ulster County had a ton of resorts that catered to people from New York City. And many of these people were Jewish especially so they got the nickname of Borscht belt resorts.
Holy crap! Do you know the Kellermans'?
Did you learn to dance there?

Reactions: sbaer2

·
Registered
58,644 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
241 - 258 of 258 Posts