Snow Plowing Forum banner
201 - 220 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
15,523 Posts
The blade dragging as you hit inclines is normal. If you move the wings forward a bit when doing so, it will get them off the ground a bit. Also, ballast (weight aft of the rear axel will help.
This and lowering it
When it's all the way up the corners are close to the ground lower it a bit and they will have more clearance.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Got it. What do you suggest for weight if ballast?
Bags of sand or salt/de-icer, equal to the weight of the plow, placed between the rear axle & tailgate is where I would start…we have a truck this year that won't have a salter in the back, so we're putting a 96gal transfer tank & several bags of de-icer places from roughly the axle to tailgate…plow is in the neighborhood of 1k lbs…of course fuel/de-icer will fluctuate with usage, but pretty confident it will work just fine.

·
Registered
58,644 Posts
Bags of sand or salt/de-icer, equal to the weight of the plow, placed between the rear axle & tailgate is where I would start…we have a truck this year that won't have a salter in the back, so we're putting a 96gal transfer tank & several bags of de-icer places from roughly the axle to tailgate…plow is in the neighborhood of 1k lbs…of course fuel/de-icer will fluctuate with usage, but pretty confident it will work just fine.
Need a Stryker?

·
Registered
58,644 Posts
Can't wait for next year:

How much to invest the second year?

·
Registered
58,644 Posts
A metric ton of Hondo's.(Hundos?)
One of the love/hate paradoxes of the snow industry. Once one starts "investing" in this industry, one never stops until one retires.

There's always something newer/better/faster/not broken or worn out.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Can't wait for next year:

How much to invest the second year?
That's better than the Lawnsite variant,
" Who's working Thanksgiving?"
Christmas
Easter
Rosh Hoshanna ( sp?)
Etc.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Curious my truck radio was blank but backup camera worked. Stayed like that for my full 7 minute drive. Shut truck off for a minute. Back on and radio and display is working again.

wondering if a plow wiring would affect anything on radio? Could be a coincidence.. just trying to learn and what to expect

3,109 Posts
Curious my truck radio was blank but backup camera worked. Stayed like that for my full 7 minute drive. Shut truck off for a minute. Back on and radio and display is working again.

wondering if a plow wiring would affect anything on radio? Could be a coincidence.. just trying to learn and what to expect
My Ram (2020) does that every now and again. Occasionally, the backup camera doesn't work. Sometimes the radio. Shutting off seems to fix it.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Also I realize this is a pretty decent set up for a novice but I already had the truck. The Plow is USED was $5500 installed. I was getting quotes for used straight blades of $5000 so it made sense to just go this route for a few hundred more.

I also assume this is just like being deployed. Assume you already dead (will break down) and if you don't break down that's a win. Fingers crossed for a safe and productive season.
We load 5-600 pounds of salt in the rear of our Ram pickups. We also use 2" all steel spring spacers from Rough Country on all our pickups that aren't 10k chassis trucks-yours isn't A 10k.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
We load 5-600 pounds of salt in the rear of our Ram pickups. We also use 2" all steel spring spacers from Rough Country on all our pickups that aren't 10k chassis trucks-yours isn't A 10k.
Does the weight in bed help with bounce of front end and how much it sags when I raise plow?
Every time I move plow front end bounces bad. Guessing that's normal?
Also what metal spring spacers? Like a 2 inch level?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Yeah it does help settle it down some to balance the weight. Won't stop it. Leveling kit helps too. The 2" kits we use set the truck up well. Extended bump stops aren't a bad idea either
If I add 2 inch level wont I have to readjust the truck side push plate to be down 2 inches so I can still mount plow easily.

201 - 220 of 258 Posts