Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at adding residential snow plowing to my landscape business this season. I have been giving myself anxiety about the decision and investment. I am only planning to commit to about 10 pretty straight forward driveways. I just want to learn the ropes for a year or two so I can move into commercial in a few years.

My dilemma. I can get a gently used western MVP3 blade installed for about $5800.

Second option is to go with a used western straight blade installed for anywhere from $3200-$5000.

which do you think is a better move for a person just getting feet wet in the industry?

I’ll also need to invest about $700 into better lighting but that’s with either blade.

I have enough work between my residential and helping friends with their commercial lots as sub. Just need snow and I HATE spending money. I stress over a $100 purchase let alone several thousand

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Whatever you can afford to pay cash for, without reducing your savings to a point that you will worry about that.
You understand the problem, you can line up enough work. But you can't make it snow.

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
So your still not decided on straight or V?

And why do you need 700.00 lights off the bat?

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
I'm confused - in another thread you stated you already bought a used Fisher 8.6 XV2 and just had questions on transporting it home?

Edit: actually we went from "Western straight blade or Western V"

To a 9.5 XV2

to "how to transport my 8.5 xv2"

And now we are back to "straight or v"? Is this like the circle of life?

·
Registered
14,702 Posts
I'm a fan of V plows, especially on residential and tight lots, but it depends on the layout of the driveways. With a V, you have the option to move the snow where you want it in scoop. My plows probably get more use in scoop than any other position.

And again, why $700 in lights? Are you talking strobes, etc or plow headlights?

Edit: you have a back rack, or feel the need to buy one?
Superbright off road backup light bulbs are an inexpensive way to get brighter reverse lights.

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
My trucks reverse is pretty terrible and I have a crew cab. So between back rack and mounting lights on the rack.
Huh? I spent approx 100.00 on led spots. Plenty bright.

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
Just need snow and I HATE spending money. I stress over a $100 purchase let alone several thousand
So 700.00 in a back rack...(which is pretty much for looks...pretty much) and lights isn't giving you the jitters...but 100.00 is...odd

Reactions: plow4beer

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
1 - 20 of 258 Posts