How far from edge of Roadway to place stakes?

Discussion in 'Discount Snow Stakes' started by BZNCrew, Oct 31, 2019.

1. BZNCrew

BZNCrew Junior Member
    from Montana

We have a small subdivision in rural Montana with some curves in our roads.
    What is the best practices for placing stakes? How far from in from the road?

We've had people run off the road and want to mark the bad spots without interfering with the plows or getting the stakes knocked over from plowing.

2. Hydromaster

Hydromaster PlowSite.com Addict
    from 406

It’s like 3 feet from the edge of the road? I think it’s the same requirements for the set back for a mailbox post.

If it’s a private road you can put them right on the edge.

what are you thinking about putting up ?
    ( maternal wise?) and will it have a reflector?
    either way it’s gonna have to be tall enough and strong enough to withstand the berm.

BUFF likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    BZNCrew

BZNCrew Junior Member
    from Montana

5 foot stakes with reflective tape. 3 feet in seems reasonable. Will mark the road and allow plows to push snow without knocking them down. Maybe put them 4' just to be sure.

It's a public road that we privately maintain. We pay a company to plow it. Hopefully this would help them as well. I don't know how they don't go off the road.

4. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Veteran

Hopefully they’re aware of the setback, if not they’re going to have a mighty large area to seed/ straw or sod.
    One of the primary reasons we do site consultations with the client present in the daylight, and so we can discuss snow piling locations.
    Perhaps if you have any cul de sacs (which suck) put them on the edge, or pile snow in the middle.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Had a HOA that would appear to be very similar. I did 3’ which was far enough away to not get hosed up by a windrow and gave room if you had to push back the windrow

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Being rural Mt I highly doubt there’s sod or irrigation along the side of the road. Oot west it’s nature grass with no irrigation. Some areas people put up hay along the side of the road.

Mistifier likes this.
  7. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Veteran

I guess I didn’t think of that, I figured since it was a sub it would be a little more manicured.

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Depending on rainfall I use to mow 30’ back form the road with a bush hog 2-3 times a year. With the last time being in the fall mowing next to the road and having tall grass 30’ back the tall grass acted as a snow fence and the short grass mixer to the road wouldn’t catch as mulch snow which would limit the amount of drifting on the road.

BossPlow2010 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    BZNCrew

BZNCrew Junior Member
    from Montana

Our HOA has 1-3 acre lots with natural edges of the road. No curbs, no sidewalks no sod. I'm always impressed at how our plow vendor can see the edge of the road to plow and our residents can't and go off into the ditch. Perhaps the plow company will appreciate better road markers.