Snow Plowing Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14,404 Posts
I see contractors advertising most the winter looking for people. I am going to reach out to some of them and then do some residential as well
Not sure if you have an actual 9-5...you said as long as the work gets done your boss is ok with it. So my statement is this....
If your subbing and the storm is going for sometime, and your not able to leave to get your residential customers, who's gunna do it? And then what about your real job?
With the sub contracting is that usually so much per push or hourly?
I have always been hourly, and other then the last 3 years I thought it was fair.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kvston

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Personally, I've only paid a sub by the hour. But I usually had a piece of equipment working with them, so it would have been a bit difficult to figure out a per push price.

Depending on who you work for, you could try for a per push payment so you get rewarded for efficiency.

Just as an FYI. I don't know your area, but there is no way in God's green earth I would or could get the rates @Kvston is getting. Pricing for plowing and subs is extremely regional.
Not sure if you have an actual 9-5...you said as long as the work gets done your boss is ok with it. So my statement is this....
If your subbing and the storm is going for sometime, and your not able to leave to get your residential customers, who's gunna do it? And then what about your real job?

I have always been hourly, and other then the last 3 years I thought it was fair.
I do have a 9-5. But the doors being closed by the 1st of the year are very likely from what we are being told. Business just slowed down and the owner wants to retire. A couple other shops opened up that are charging low rates. So it's messing up other ones. Not sure how they profit. But anyway, if this becomes something I can profit good on for the winter. I can be out as long as needed. Would like to venture out and work for myself but I am treading lightly. Need to do it right. But as far as being out for long periods of time. It's not a problem. Residential I guess I wouldn't sign contracts. Just tell them I will be there after the storm. So they know. Otherwise just stick to sub contracting.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts