1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hoping its just a battery

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by tasbm5, Dec 26, 2016.

1. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Hey Guys , tonight I went to start up the jeep to let it run for a bit were I don't
    drive it daily anymore and when I turned on the plow to raise and angle the blade
    the headlights seemed to dim more than usual .Tomorrow I'm going to replace the
    battery terminals clean all my contacts and grounds with contact cleaner then dielectric
    grease same to my 4port module. Is there anything else I should do or be looking for ?
    Thanks Terry

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A parasidic draw.

Ie you had enough of a charge to start it.
    Now the starter drew X, lights draw Z and the cold plow drew Y, and the alt at idel doesn't put
    Out mulch.
    So your lights dimed.

Jmo.

Cleaning and installing better grounds and power cables is a place to start.

Ps go light on the dielectric grease, it's a insulator,

3. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

I took it for a drive for about 15 minutes and when I came home moving the plow around the lights were still going dim .

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What type of fluid are you running? How cold is it there?

5. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

western blue fluid and its only minus 1

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

At that temp your battery performance will be much lower and plow fluid will be harder for the pump to move causing a higher amp draw. Now figure in all the amps you are most likely using on the vehicle itself the lights are going to dim.

7. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

OK that makes sense.im probley just being paranoid we had three storms this year
    and when I was plowing at night I had my windshield led lights on so I wouldn't
    have noticed if they were dimming.
    Again Thank you for all the helpful advice
    Terry

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

even if you put a new battery in it, since you dont drive it much, put a trickle charger on it, your asking a lot from a battery that does not get warmed up much

9. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Maybe I made a mistake as retiring it as my daily driver ?

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

no just need to change how you take care of it...lol

11. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Other than a battery tender any other ideas ?
    Thanks