1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hoping its just a battery

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by tasbm5, Dec 26, 2016.

1. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Hi all, looking for some more help again . Have some snow coming tomorrow so today I went out
    and started the jeep to let it run and do my go through the process that I do . the jeep started fine
    and after letting it run for a bit I turned on the plow to go through the motions and it wouldn't move the
    relay motor was clicking but no movement. I turned the jeep off because I had to go get gas for my car and get some gas for the snow blower when I came home I sprayed the battery terminals and all my contacts with contact cleaner and went to start the jeep and it was dead . boosted it and it started turned on the plow pressed it to go up the jeep died and the battery was dead again . I know the battery is toast but my question is can there be enough juice in the battery to crank over the jeep but not enough juice to power the plow ? sorry for the long winded post but this is the first year I'm plowing for profit and I really don't want to let my customers down .
    Thanks Terry

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Take a look at the plow solenoid, then the power wires going to your plow.

What dot the volt gauge say when you started it and when driving it to the station?

3. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

I cant start it without a boost

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Start with the battery, check the alt output then go from there

5. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

figures only day Costco is closed . going to buy a new battery in the morning
    and then ill go from there .

6. areoseek

areoseek Senior Member
    from Erie PA

don't spend money that you don't have to. Check the alternator and battery first. Don't throw parts at it.

Dogplow Dodge likes this.
  7. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

I certainly wont but taking the positive cable off I near pulled the battery post out of the battery first for me . this is the first battery I replaced in years I'm going to Costco co in the morning to buy a new one do they have to charge it or is it already to go off the shelf ?
    Thanks

8. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Should be good off the shelf; if it's down a little, it'll charge up. Check the dates in the battery though to get the newest one.

9. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

ok will do . last battery I bought was almost 30 years ago bought it and had to be charged at Canadian tire store so I wasn't really in the know .
    Thanks

10. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

When I started way back, we had to put the acid in the batteries, then charge them to sell them. If the battery is old your not wasting money. But you may have other problems. Use a volt meter and check the alternator voltage output.

11. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

if the battery is more than 4 yrs old change it, if there is any side bulging, change it

i usually use napa batteries, have had the best luck with them

get a battery with high cca, cost more but worth it, expect to pay more

12. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

The battery was definitely older than 4 years I'm thinking maybe 6 years old . Bought a new one from Costco and everything works again . Next question when I check the output on the alt should I assume anything over 12 volts its ok ?
    Thanks again everyone
    Terry

13. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Should be closer to 14v

dieselss likes this.
  14. dieselss

Also check it with a load....lights, heater, wipers etc

15. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

13.89 volts with heater full ,wipers going , rear defogger on and headlights.

16. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What is voltage with engine off?

17. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

12.47 volts

18. dieselss

If you were testing this at idle, that's not that bad. Ideally you'd like to be 14.4_14.8

19. 906Yooper

906Yooper Member

New batteries generally come charged around 80%. This I know, because I've measured them with a good load tester and hydrometer. Best to buy batteries from a high turnover active store. I've seen batteries at a mom and pop service stations 4 years old. Not good, always check the "fresh" date.

edit to say when batteries are sitting in the truck at zero or below, efficiency drops like a rock.

20. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

tested at idle every thing off 14.30 volts