Snow Plowing Forum banner

Hooking an MP3 into a factory head unit??

988 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Cosmic Charlie 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2006 2500HD (pics in the equipment thread). My old truck had an aftermarket head unit and i was able to plug my ipod into it directly. Is there a way to put either RCA's or any other kind of aux input into my factory unit? I was about to disassemble the dash but i figured i'd ask here first. Thanks!!!

#2 ·
FM transmitter or tape deck interface were the only options I was able to find in my 00.
Opted to pick up a new Alpine headunit with ipod cable.

#3 ·
My friend uses the FM transmitter on his tahoe and it sounds horrible. I was hoping to keep the factory head for a while and then maybe put some kind of flat screen in the future. Sounds like it'll be the XM for now, i cant stand all the commercials on regular radio.

#6 ·
My Garmin /mp3 player has FM Broadcast built in, and a bunch of other stuff too.

Works excellent on my boat , pretty good on the Silverado

Garmin website sells refurbished units for real cheep, they are a great company ...

just another option

if you have GM Bose ... the WHOLE system has to be upgraded- speakers, head unit, amp ... no part is usable if you upgrade the head unit from GM Bose to whatever ...

The best FM broadcast systems plug into the head unit antenna slot, Garmin does not do that though ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.