Snow Plowing Forum banner

Honda 520 SnowThrower Questions

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ravmazda 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy a snow blower or thrower for my approximately 50ft single lane driveway and a small 2 car driveway. The single lane drive goes up/down a hill. I live in Pittsburgh, PA area. Family and coworker have 2 stage blowers, but after reading here, i am considering a 1 stage unit that would be easier to handle on the hill. I am considering buying the Honda 520 series from Home Depot which seems respected on this forum. Will it do OK on my hill and handle my needs? I want to buy soon before they are all sold out. I was told by a dealer that the Toro Snow Commander would be a good choice since it is somewhat power propelled. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

#2 ·
First off, welcome to the site, you'll get a ton of useful information from this site. I would recommend using the search feature at the top of page and search for "snow blowers", you'll see some interesting information on the very subject we're discussing.

I've got ( 2 ) 520's I bought last year, and they are unbelievable, start first pull, love the four stroke.... I can't say enough, they feel like there self propelled cause they pull ya along, so going up hill should'nt be a problem. I think from a maneuverability stand point they handle very well.

Best of luck my friend. :waving: :waving:

#3 ·
Most of the single stage units use the pull of the rubber auger to pull them forward.

They work great in light and dry snow.

I don't know how steep your hill is or how much snow you get, but a 2 stage will have much more power for wet or 6" plus snow.

The smaller 2 stage units can be tought to turn, if that is a factor, some of the bigger ones have locking differentials that can be unlocked, giving the machine the ability to turn "on the spot".

Depending on your budget, you will have to make a choice.

I like the small singles for lifting in and out of trucks, but my 2 stages last longer, especially in heavy snow.

Adam

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I opted to get the Honda 520 with electric start at Home Depot since they had them in stock. Somewhat expensive at $699 but unit seems to be working- started second start. Now waiting on snow which could be soon. I was told that they had 8 Hondas in stock but within a few hours they were down to only 4. Most dealers said they were sold out for the season on Hondas.

My only gripes so far- 16 oz. container of oil when the engine calls for 20 oz and the plastic dip stick. I wish the wheels were a little more substantial as well. Electric start worked just fine, although I may not even need it based on how easy it kicked over.

My 12 year old son can't wait to use it to make snow for snow forts and igloos. I just hope it keeps my drive way and side walks clear.

Thanks again. I will post back when it snows.

#5 ·
Just another followup after the storm-

This evening after about 6" of wet snow, the Honda cleared the entire drive in minutes. Going up my driveway was actually easy as the Honda just pulled itself right up the drive. Going down was actually harder than going up.

Blower throws great- in fact I need to watch that I am not throwing snow on the neighbor's house. Thanks to the previous posts and for the recent help on my decision to get the Honda.

I cancelled an order for a small 2 stage and got the single stage Honda instead. I think, I made the right decision since the Honda clears right to the pavment. I had to get the electric start option (only kind in stock), which works fine; however, the 520 starts on the first pull so I doubt I will really need that option. I would suggest saving the extra $100 if you can. Most dealers were sold out of the Hondas, but luckily Home Depot had them in stock.

#6 ·
I knew you'd like it. I have not heard anything bad about these.

Best of luck :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.