Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a homesteader on my jeep. the rubber/elastomeric trip springs are getting worn and cracked. my jeep is lifted 3". due to that and the weakened trip springs, the plow blade trips somewhat easily because of the angle. i'm considering replacing the worn rubber bands, but i'm thinking about replacing them with steel springs instead of the rubber bands. has anyone done this before?

ideally, i would modify the mount so the plow sits at thee proper height, but that isn't doable at this point in the season. i figured i might try the springs, see if that helps, and then modify the mount later on.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks.

yeah i saw that site too. i had the idea and then googled it, and that came up. pretty expensive.. $195 for just the springs and hardware. i imagine either replacing the rubber bands with springs or adding springs to the existing rubber bands would make an improvement. should be able to source some springs locally for fairly short money.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hi again,
I hate to beat this to death, but the springs seem pretty strong.... you did say your homesteader (suburbanite) plow still tripped like it should? I just don't want to damage my plow if I hit something solid. Also my springs were slightly longer than the elastomeric, so I had to mount the bar on the top side of the mount.
Thanks again,
Chuck

· Registered
16 Posts
Hi again,
I hate to beat this to death, but the springs seem pretty strong.... you did say your homesteader (suburbanite) plow still tripped like it should? I just don't want to damage my plow if I hit something solid. Also my springs were slightly longer than the elastomeric, so I had to mount the bar on the top side of the mount.
Thanks again,
Chuck

· Registered
16 Posts
Thanks,
Well I can weld ... however there is no place to attach anything. But there is tension on them now, and I could stretch them more by putting a spacer below the bar on the mounting tab. Again Tailman said his works great so I will see if his are mounted differently.

· Registered
4 Posts
Yes. No modification other than replacing the tube steel with a solid steel OR you can insert a solid steel into the existing tube steel. I will take a pic of mine tomorrow & post it. I have been through an Adirondacks NY winter with it AND I stupidly tried to move some gravel-run with it ... snapped back, no damage. Like I said, I'll get a pic up in a day or 2.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.