Hitch mounted tailgate spreader - Hydraulic?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bighornjd, Feb 1, 2011.

1. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Ok maybe this is just another crazy dumb idea of mine. I'm thinking about trying it, although it probably won't happen till next year if I do. I contract plow for a local town with 33k gvw dump and 10' plow. I have 2 small streets and an alley that the truck either won't fit at all or won't make the turn onto, and they are really steep. I keep the skiddy down at the salt shed for loading salt. When I'm all done with the other streets in the truck, I take a bucket full of salt with the skid and drive up to these 2 streets, and dump the salt at the end. Then I scrape off the snow with the bucket, come back and scoop up the salt and sprinkle and scrape the salt around on the pavement. Kinda crude i know, but it gets the job done surprisingly well. I can stretch one bucket enough to do it all, but I feel like I waste a lot of salt and don't get it very even.

Here's my idea. Not trying to spend a lot. I have an old Buyers hitch mount spreader I don't use with no controller and a bad motor. I have plans to get a quick attach adapter anyway in the future that I can mount 3pt hitch attachments to. I also want a 2" reciever welded to it so I can move trailers around with the skid. If I had that, i could put this spreader on the front of the skid easily. I'm wondering if anyone has ever converted an electric tailgate spreader to hydraulic? I have a couple old hydro undertailgate spreaders laying around I could swipe a motor off of possibly. Just curious if anyone else has ever thought of this or tried it? Sorry for the length of babble...

2. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Should be do-able, use the remotes for your salter, though you might have to put a flow control inline to adjust the spinner speed.