1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hit & Run ....plow driver killed pedestrian.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MichiganMark, Jan 10, 2017.

1. MichiganMark

MichiganMark Junior Member

This for sure. Assuming that's the outfit...I can't imagine what the impact will be to his biz. Along with knowing that one of your guys in your truck was responsible. Miserable all the way around.

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Which would make sense as to why the backblade wasn't in the up position in that picture.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I'm sure there/their a lot more to this story.

I came with in inches of plowing away one of our sidewalk guys a years ago....Let's put it this way, the snow pushed his legs out from underneath him, he used the moldboard to help stand himself up.

That was a totally different scenario thank God..... Accidents will happen, but stop, do the right thing!

Perhaps he didn't know he hit her, maybe it was stolen, maybe he was texting/Facebook/Plowsiting or upset Backpage took down it's adult services page.

shawn_ and snowplower1 like this.
  4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

:eek:

shawn_ likes this.
  5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite Veteran

I would certainly hope so. I've never hit a person with a vehicle (thank God!) but based on bumping other similarly sized and weighted objects, I would hope to hell you'd know you hit someone, especially if you were going fast enough to kill them.

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

I hit a kid in my truck outside a county fair like 5 years ago. Kid darted out into traffic after his family left him behind walking home. Had 30 witnesses saying i did nothing wrong and i was never ticketed or anything scary as hell watching a kid fly thru the air after you macked him with the grill of your truck.. kid was unconscious for 5 mins but then came out of it and apparently has been fine ever since. Still surprised i didnt get sued even though i wouldve sued back for being bad parents. Had nightmares for months after that.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Rumor on the playground is the owner of the company called the cops and told him it looked like his truck.

Not sure what the issue is regarding the driver. I believe he is claiming he didn't know he hit anything.

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

At least the owner is doing the right thing.

shawn_ and MichiganMark like this.
  9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

If he hit her with a EXT, it would have been a mangled mess......Case close!!!

10. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo Senior Member

Good update. And definitely props to the owner for doing the right thing. Hopefully he will come out of it ok and not lose his a$$.

Also shows the pros and cons of lettering trucks.
    Pro- no one knows for sure which company it was as of now and the name won't be drug through the mud...yet
    Con- harder to locate the suspect if the owner wouldn't have spoken up

11. GrassManKzoo

Could only imagine it would feel like hitting a deer. Regardless I feel like he would of felt it

MichiganMark likes this.
  12. jdsquire

jdsquire Member

According to Wood TV 8 they have a suspect in custody.

13. Mark Oomkes

I hit a deer with a V years back....dead square at the hinge.

I'd find it hard to believe one wouldn't feel anything either, but I suppose it might be possible if he just clipped her.

There are a ton of deer in the area as well, no (legal) hunting in the city of Wyoming. Golf course and plenty of woods nearby.

14. Mark Oomkes

Apparently the driver has a criminal record.

15. LogansLawnCare

LogansLawnCare Member

Not surprised to hear that. Hopefully the company owner ends up alright but he needs to be a lot more careful who he has drive his trucks. I am glad to hear that they have to driver in custody.

16. GrassManKzoo

And he's 21... sounds like he's looking at at least 15yrs for felony failure to stop at a fatal accident

17. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite Veteran

Glad to hear the owner did the right thing, and that they now have the kid in custody. Hopefully he doesn't lose his ass in the deal too.

Not that it's any justice for the family but something is better than nothing.

18. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

If he was drinking was it smarter to run or smarter to stay when its still in your system?

19. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I don't think that is a subject that should even be entertained. Drinking or not this person killed another person.

Philbilly2, FredG, shawn_ and 2 others like this.
  20. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Too deep? Was just thinking which punishment would end up being worse.