Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
I have an older Hiniker 7'6" straight blade full trip (2752 or 2753?) with a DB-1164 Power unit. I use it to maintain 1/2 mile of private road in Wyoming.The plow works great in normal snow; up, down, left, right, etc. - no leaks

The problem: When I push HARD into a drift or heavy wet snow the blade will rotate to the side of resistance. It seams as though the hydraulics are leaking by somewhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Brad

· Registered
14,949 Posts
Probably a relief valve is broken or bad.
I would start there, need to get the manual and see what it states

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Power unit has 3 adjustable Relief Valves. 1 main and 2 crossover. I pulled them out and they looked good. Reinstalled and adjusted them all in 1 round tighter. It didn't affect anything - no change. The local dealer is no help, lust wants me to take it in for them to look at.
Any Ideas??

· Registered
760 Posts
Is it acting different than say last year?
Is it the same on both sides?

How hard are we talking here?
Plows are supposed to do this when they encounter heavy resistance.
If they didn't have crossover relief the pressure would run away and you would either blow a hose, piston seal, or bend something important.

Dealer is probably no help because he knows that you need to hook up high pressure gauges to test and adjust the relief valves. Something you are not likely to have just laying around at home.

· Super Moderator
42,963 Posts
The Power unit has 3 adjustable Relief Valves. 1 main and 2 crossover. I pulled them out and they looked good. Reinstalled and adjusted them all in 1 round tighter. It didn't affect anything - no change. The local dealer is no help, lust wants me to take it in for them to look at.
Any Ideas??
If your dealer is in Cheyenne they always treat me well and very fair on pricing when they had the shop in Fort Collins. You just need to know how to "work" Dave. If you go in call him stretch.....:laugh:

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it acting different than say last year?
Is it the same on both sides?

How hard are we talking here?
Plows are supposed to do this when they encounter heavy resistance.
If they didn't have crossover relief the pressure would run away and you would either blow a hose, piston seal, or bend something important.

Dealer is probably no help because he knows that you need to hook up high pressure gauges to test and adjust the relief valves. Something you are not likely to have just laying around at home.
The problem started this past Fall and is slowly getting worse. Prior to this, it worked great.
It is the same on both sides.
How hard? - Hard to explain - not like I hit something. With powder its no issue at all. If its 12+" or really wet and the plow is loaded heavier on one side, it will rotate to the side of resistance.

· Registered
760 Posts
Still sounds like normal operation to me, but you know your plow best, and if you feel it is changing it probably is...

Looking at the hydraulic schematic, I don't believe stuck or partially shifted directional valves can cause this type of issue.

My best guess would be that the cross over relief valve springs are getting a little tired, but unfortunately the only way to confirm this would be to set up some gauges and start making adjustments.

Blindly throwing parts at it (AKA installing the cross over reliefs valve kits) won't work either without a set of gauges since they are adjustable and you have no way of knowing if they are set to high.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.