1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

hidaway strobes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dieselman19, Oct 18, 2004.

  1. Dieselman19

    Dieselman19 Senior Member
    Messages: 141

    I was wondering what the best and least expensive hidaway strobe? and what the major difference between the different watts???? I just want 2 for the rear of my truck

  2. fisher42

    fisher42 Banned
    Messages: 55


    i was just wondering where in the back are u mounting them?
  3. Dieselman19

    Dieselman19 Senior Member
    Messages: 141

    inside the taillight, u just drill another hole under the reverse bulb, i saw that eurolight made a strobe but they are single units but u can tie them into eachother with a single on/off switch, but you need to control them seperate, they where only $30 a piece so im trying to compare them to the units that are 150 a piece?????
  4. ebonang

    ebonang Junior Member
    Messages: 14

    strobe lights

    If you're going to put strobe lights in do it the right way. You can purchase a nice Whelen four strobe package for $199.00. The package comes with a six head power supply (so you can upgrade), four clear strobe lights, switches and wiring. Check Express Police Supply on line. The company sells the package for $199.00.

    Be carefull though if you put the strobes in your tail lights. If you put the strobes in you brake lights they will flash red. Some states reserve the use of red lights for police and fire department vehicles. With a four strobe package you can put two in your reverse lights (white) and two in your front marker lamps (white or yellow). White or yellow lights, espescially in the reverse lights, are more visible at night. You should also check with the department of motor vehicles in your state. Some states require an emergency lighting permit before any type of emergency light is installed. The permit will prevent you from getting a violation from the police (which would cost you more money).

    If all else fails, buy an amber light with a cigarette lighter plug. You can stick on your roof with a magnet when you need it and then remove it when you are done.

    Good Luck
  5. Strobesupply

    Strobesupply Junior Member
    Messages: 8

    The Low Down on Hide-A-Ways

    Hi Dieselman,

    The Hide-A-Way strobe tubes that you will buy from most major companies are basically the same. Most all of them are rated for 32 watt operation. That does not mean that you should ever run them at 32 watts though-more about this below. (I'm not sure how much you know about strobes so if I am saying something you already know - ignore me). The wattage that a strobe head produces really has nothing to do with the strobe head itself, the amount of wattage that a strobe head puts off comes from the power supply. If you used a 60 watt power supply you would be getting around 15 watts per head (60 divided by 4), a 90 watt supply would give you about 22.5 watts per head of power.

    That leads to the next thing that you need to consider. When you put the lights in a light housing, most manufacturers recommend that you have atleast 3/4" clearance from all points of the lens. They also recommend that you do not put more than 22.5 watts to a strobe tube that is mounted inside a light housing. The strobe tube would be able to handle a higher wattage, but the lens of the housing would not. I have seen people who put just two heads on 60 watt power supply and end up with bubbled up melted lenses. A very costly problem with newer vehicles.

    I think that if you just want to run two head, I would go with a 40 Watt EPSX power supply with the two strobe tubes. The EPS supplies are potted and 100% waterproof, they come with a great array of flash patterns and are very affordable. Plowsite price for that system would be $124.73. That does come with clear strobe tubes so like ebonang said, check with your local law enforcement agency. If you can get them behind amber lenses, you should be OK in most states but best off to check on the red for the taillights.

    Well I rambled enough, if I didn't answer any of your questions or if I caused you to have more, just let me know.

    Have a good day - Nancy :)
  6. JTS Landscaping

    JTS Landscaping Member
    Messages: 53

    go to ebay and type in headlight stobe and there is a few in there for taillights parking everything there only $4.99 i just bought one for my taillights they even have adjustable speeds to. i like them i think that they are great.