Hesitation

81pickup

I have an 81 custom deluxe with a 2bbl 350 in it. Whenever you stop and then step on the gas ( like at an intersection ) the truck breifly hesitates. The guy I bought it from said that he put a new carb ( got it off another truck.. it's not brand new ) because the old one was shot. I thought it might be the accelorator pump that needs to be adjusted.

Any suggestions??

Thanks.... :)

cat320

2000 Club Member
wish I could help you my old '85 did the same thing we did every thing put 3 carbs on ran out of a sepereate fuel tank feul pump and a bunch more stuff never found the problem.It was a 1/2 ton 305 4 barrel.good luck

RTallday

I would go for timing, maybe give it a check and a little adjustment. Also, if you are going to think about replacing the carb, you might think about maybe putting a 4bbl on there, to let her breathe a little easier. You'll have to change the manifold too, but if you have the extra cash, itll be well worth it. Good luck.

-Rich

dany

My ford with a 390 does the same thing. Ive been told that the fuel pump speeds upso quick that it actually starves it self for fuel. They recammended upgrading to a higher violosity fuel pump.

OP

81pickup

Couldn't be that. Has new plugs, wires, disributor cap... everything. I think it may be somthing to do with the electric choke. I have problems getting it to start when it's cold. I am considering a manual choke if I can't fix this one.
Thanks anyways John..

I had that problem too, turned out to be a vaccum port on the carb not plugged. Have you checked for vaccum leaks at the Carb?, I replaced the stock rochester on my 81 with a Holly 600cfm, 4bbl vaccum secondaries, Vrrrrrm Vrmmmm. Save some cash and get a 4bbl. It is a good investment.

OP

81pickup

No I haven't checked for vaccum leaks yet. And yes I'd like to heave the Rochester out the door and bolt on a holley 4bbl but I don't have the cash right now. But It is seriously being considered.
Thanks again.