• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Here's what we billed for some projects. Reasonable?

rizzoa13

For comparisons were $160 an hour for a medium duty truck with a wideout xl (11’ plow). Your charging almost double that for a tractor with a blade half the size.

Your charging 150$ an hour per shoveler???

jonniesmooth

2000 Club Member
I can’t remember if I included this before or not - for the one property that this thread has mostly been about - the 27k one, we have done some smaller events for them this year using the same hourly rates and never had any questions.
And they will use that against you.
Why did it take so long, cost so much this time?

Welcome to the snow plow life.

OP
B

brendontw

And they will use that against you.
Why did it take so long, cost so much this time?

Welcome to the snow plow life.
Fortunately this storm was significantly worse and longer lasting, and they added more area as well. Actually received a thank you email today for all of the help last week.

again, this is just for the one property.

Kinport

Ballpark for my area is $150/hour for a nicely equipped plow truck and $65/hour for a laborer. If you can get the prices you posted, do it. This kid did:

This thread and the story I linked have got me seriously considering chasing freak snowstorms

jonniesmooth

2000 Club Member
Small events vs bigger events.

Of course it will take longer.
But if they agreed to time and materials then they shouldn't complain. But they will.
Ain't that the truth
. As long as you previously told your customers your rates you shouldn't have any problems. Customers always have sticker shock when it comes to loader rates. They always seem to think that they should pay the same rate as a 5hp snow blower

plow4beer

PlowSite.com Addict
This reminds me of a time I was talking about seasonal pricing with some guys from buffalo New York. It was about seasonal pricing, for residential driveways. Basing the price upon how much snow we get, to buffalo, we were/are getting About 4x’s the rate.

The more snow, the more plow monkeys, the more beat down the pricing gets

Treeboy

While this is a lot of money for places with consistent snow and more than i would charge my buddy just went south with trucks and skids. He claims it was the biggest s*** show hes ever seen. No contractor had a clue how to move snow. These customers may just b lucky they got reopened. They agreed to the pricing and thats about it they are legally liable. Getting paid from a 1 off emergency deal is hard in any industry.

WIPensFan

PlowSite Veteran
My gut feeling right off the bat on totals billed out... wayyy to high. 41k for the two bigger properties?? Ouch! After reading through all the comments, imma stick with my gut.:nono:
I mean, if we had some videos to base off of, we would have a better sense of what went down out there.:popcorn:

rizzoa13

You're in Jersey?

You're on the low side of pricing.
That’s my sub price for the guy who holds the insurance and supplies the salt for his sites. The amount we charge for our own sites is either a per push/per salt or seasonal rate and your right it does come out a good hit higher than my sub price.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
That’s my sub price for the guy who holds the insurance and supplies the salt for his sites.
So that's not really the rate.

The amount we charge for our own sites is either a per push/per salt or seasonal rate
Right, but it is based on an hourly rate and the amount of time estimated to accomplish that work.

your right it does come out a good hit higher than my sub price.
What does the subcontracting rate have to do with this discussion? The OP is the contract holder and the one performing the work?

GMC Driver

PlowSite.com Addict
I'm having a hard time being critical of the OP. He says he provided these services already this season at the stated rates. It was extenuating circumstances for the area, and if the market will bear the rates that he's charging, then why not? They don't push 8" storms a few times a year like many of us do. Therefore, his revenue ought to be proportionate to the time and resources it takes to perform this service in a "non-snow" area.

We've experienced early or late snows here, either before the start date of contract(s) or after. In these events, clients have issued PO's to ensure that the snow removal work is done at per hour or per event pricing. I've never experienced non-payment for those events, even though the amount charged in some instances was more than 25% of the seasonal contract. What it does provide is insight to the client as to what our true operational costs are. For example, at one development we provide snow removal services to, our operational cost for clearing a 2" storm is just shy of $5k. On a larger storm, that cost will multiply by a factor proportionate to the amount of snow we receive.

The events in Texas over the past week have had my wheels turning - I see a huge opportunity there. Problem is, they keep telling us that things are warming up?

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
Brendon, do I think the rates are high? Absolutely, but we've just plowed and salted for the better part of 2 weeks straight, closer to 3 with maybe 3 or 4 days without doing any snow related work. Actually might be less because we've been moving snow too. Heck, I don't even remember when it started.

Anyways, $150 for a shoveler seems very high, but none of us are in your market.

$300 for a tractor seems a bit high, but not quite as high as the man hour rate.

But this is all based on what I think, we average 75"+ per year so we have a more opportunity to recover our overhead costs, invest in equipment and gain experience to be efficient. So I can't really say that your prices are too high.