HELP!!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by casey rincon, Nov 10, 2019.

1. casey rincon

casey rincon Junior Member

Hello all, I am a novice plow guy i have an 1996 chevy s10 with a 7.5 foot western plow, I used to have a 6.5 Unimount that came with the truck. It was heavily rusted and after last winter i found this 7.5 footer on CL at a great price. I pulled up to the new plow, hooked it up and the plow functions worked great. however it was daytime and i never checked the lights. there is no power to the headlights on the new plow. im seeing new "harness" kits put how do i know what one i have. i see so many 9 pin 11 pin 12 pin. and thet all fit inside each other. im very mechanically inclined and can fix it or wore the new harness just need to know what one i need how do i decipher

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Did you ck with a test light to make sure you have no power to any of the lights?

Hows the ground wires?

3. OP
    OP
    casey rincon

sorry yes the amber / orange ( side marker ) lights have power on passenger side , no power to the square headlights. test light shows power only on one pin from the truck side i assumed was a "main" power should i have power to each socket will post pics in a few

4. cjames808

cjames808 Senior Member
    from SE WI

There is a storm coming. 1”-12”.

like above check for power and ground both sides.

5. dieselss

That'll get you started

Screenshot_20181006-190148_Drive.jpg

6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

So everything works except the lights. If it's the same plugs, which it has to be. If the old plow everything works, it has to be in the new, used plow. With the plow connected what do you have with a test light? Are they factory light assembly?

7. OP
    OP
    casey rincon

SO... looking closer my Plow Side harness appears to be a 9 pin with ONE broken. number 11 this is the plow side harness that came with the new ( new to me ) plow. The truck side looks like a a 12 pin but how many are used????? the plow side has 12 numbers too but only 9 are used. i ran some wire directly to the lights just to get by with some alligator clips just so its semi functional because expecting 6 inches tonight and i dont wanna loose money .

IMG_4657.JPG

IMG_8106.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0838.JPG

8. OP
    OP
    casey rincon

Randall Ave it was originally the factory assembly with the big old school square lights. i wnated to upgrade to the LED i mean 12volts is 12 volts should have been an easy swap 8 hours later here we are..... but so far thanks to everyone seems like a good community. i know my truck is a heap lol but she runs amazing and makes me a lil $$ here and there

9. dieselss

10. Freshwater

Freshwater PlowSite Veteran

The big square lights sucked. I've had them come apart, fall off, I'd end up using big zip ties or big hose clamps to keep them together. Good choice to upgrade.
    That plow looks like it's in great shape. Man that's alot of plow for that truck.

11. OP
    OP
    casey rincon

7.5 standard not the PRO according to an older western brochure it was only 40 lbs more than the 6.5 standard 6.5 560 lbs the 7.5 is 590 guess we'll see how the front end holds up. guy cleaning out his yard gave me the plow pump motor all 300$$ i flushed it, put a new filter, new fluid, new lights. so im about 500 all in. plus i scrapped the 6.5 plow but kept the pump and motor so i have a spare

12. OP
    OP
    casey rincon

dieselss so it looks from the 2 diagrams the colors and numbers dont line up cant use a 9 pin INTO a 12 pin >!!! guess i have to order a truck side 12 pin and hope it works

13. cjames808

cjames808 Senior Member
    from SE WI

Any way to put the old lights on the new plow?

14. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

The truck is a 9 pin?

15. OP
    OP
    casey rincon

I posted pics. I’m not sure. I seen so many different things online 9 pin 11 pin and 12 pin On the truck side there is a connector with numbers inside 1-12 but is it possible only 11 are used?? Or all 12?? On the plow side there is also numbers 1-12 but clearly some are not used and one is broken off. The one broken is number 11. And appears only total nine are used including the broken one And there is some that are just not there like they weren’t Installed at the factory plastic covered or something.

16. dieselss