Help with Meyer 750S motor "giving up"

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by HeavyG603, Jan 7, 2020.

1. HeavyG603

HeavyG603 Junior Member

Having an issue with my Meyer 750S tailgate spreader. We are using rock salt in it and after some initial issues with jamming and throwing the red light (wed just manually spin the plate backward and it would clear it), it worked well so far until today. I turn it on and it displays the normal lights on the controller, the vibrator goes fine, but it wont seem to start spinning on its own. So I jump out, give it some manual turns and it starts again so I jump back in and salt a bit then notice I'm not putting anything else out and sure enough it just kind of gave up. So this continues until I loose my patience, no red error light. Any ideas ? Is the motor gone ? Thanks in advance!

2. OP
    OP
    HeavyG603

HeavyG603 Junior Member

Welp, calling Meyers I guess. Will post results.

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know anyone with that spreader. Did you check for power at the motor?

HeavyG603 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    HeavyG603

HeavyG603 Junior Member

Yup, rechecked last night, connection and power. Seems odd that I wouldn't get at least an error light on the controller if it wasn't spinning. I also dug all the way to the bottom and felt around the auger and could feel anything frozen. Will start spinning with assistance, toss a bit of material then stop. Would seem to me if it was completely burnt it shouldn't go at all.

5. OP
    OP
    HeavyG603

HeavyG603 Junior Member

Meyers said to put power directly to the motor and see what happens but also confirmed that all the error control is in the motor so the fact that its not indicating a stall when it is....not a good sign

6. iceyman

iceyman PlowSite Fanatic

I would imagine motor toast

HeavyG603 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    HeavyG603

HeavyG603 Junior Member

Coming to that conclusion too. I just find it odd that it still "partially" works. Usually for me something electrical would just die.

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

I have had a lot of starter motors, they would spin, but as soon as a load hits them, they are done, usually the motor will start to stink from the coating on the armature getting hot.

iceyman likes this.
  9. iceyman

iceyman PlowSite Fanatic

We had one do same thing couple weeks ago.. motor was probably 10 years old so not bad

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite Veteran
    from CT

My spinner motor would go bad "slowly" Salt water was entering over time. It would start to bind up and slowly get worse. I would have to get out and kick it to get it spinning. Sometimes the brushes get corroded and you lose one or more. Its like losing a cylinder on a motor.

11. leigh

leigh PlowSite Veteran
    from CT

Just looked up your model spreader . If you end up replacing the motor pull the old one apart and take a look see. Post some pics what the brushes look like ,they may not move freely due to salt corrosion. Also see if the bearings are partially seized. I went through multiple motors on my spinner till I came up with the solution, current motor is 3 years old and no issues.

HeavyG603 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    HeavyG603

HeavyG603 Junior Member

Good idea thanks!

13. leigh

leigh PlowSite Veteran
    from CT

Post some closeup pics of the motor attached to the spinner.I will see if my way of protecting motor will work on that spreader. If it does work you'll owe me big time lol