Help with matching plow to truck

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by lake sarge, Nov 30, 2018.

1. lake sarge

lake sarge Junior Member

I have a 2014 Ram 2500 crew cab long box w/ .
    6.7 diesel, with plow package.
    i have looked at the various manufacturer's sites and am getting confused or am stupid.
    I realize there are weight restrictions, especially with a diesel. Don't mind putting on a leveling kit or timbers or both, or using ballast. I am not a pro plower, but have used multiple plow rigs and have a decent understanding of basics.
    Still have a year or so left before I run out of warranty, so that is a minor concern.
    I would like to plow my cabin road which is a 2 mile 2 track road, plus a few family drives etc. Am in the snowbelt of Northern MN. Currently looking at an 09 Blizzard 8100pp, potentially a good deal if I find a mount, can some of you experienced guys give me some advise on dealing with the limitations of my truck and what plows you would recommend?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

8100 will be fine, just need ballast or counterweight and airbags.

Neither Timbrens or a leveling kit will help carry the weight, airbags will.

I've been running an 8611 LoPro on mine for 4 years. That's the next size up from the 8100. No plow prep and no warranty issues.

A v plow wouldn't be a bad choice either.

jonniesmooth, cwren2472 and NYH1 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    lake sarge

lake sarge Junior Member

Front and rear airbags?

4. Mark Oomkes

Just fronts.

5. Mark Oomkes

I can't vouch for these yet, I do have a set waiting to go on.

https://timbergroveenterprises.com/

I will say if you can get a set of the Firestones...don't. I've blown out 2 so far. If\when another goes, I will be getting another set from above.

6. OP
    OP
    lake sarge

lake sarge Junior Member

Thanks for the heads up, I was just looking at the Firestones.

7. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

That was going to be my next question here, running the 8611lp on a 09 2500 diesel , I have been pushing the 8100 for years now and was either addind a foot to each side of it , or upping it up to the 8611lp, but the extra 1XXlb was kind of worrying me, The 8100 handles beautiful, like it isnt even there , but was wondering how the front ends would hold up under with the extra 190 lbs

8. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Another option is changing the springs out I added a set of tuff truk 1216V front springs they lifted the front up a couple of inches and added way more packing capacity, and even rode better than my stock coils, they are actually .100 thicker coils and wound as a variable rate spring, air bags aren't or weren't an option for an 09 axle at the time i needed more packing capacity