Help! What plow do I buy?

LubbockRoots

Hey everyone!

I own a landscape maintenance company in the Texas panhandle. We have had some success in past years renting skid steers, front end loaders and backhoes; really whatever has a bucket and we can get our hands on we have used to move snow.

We now have 30+ commercial job sites. Restaurants, USPS, FedEx etc..

With the number of properties we have I cannot continue to rely on renting.

I am looking at buying a plow for my 2018 f250 4x4. Fgwr (4400)... I bought a gas truck... we only have one maybe two snow events a year with over 6in. I dont need a heavy duty V plow. Just something I can use twice a year that will be reliable and can pay for itself quickly.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
I'm a bit confused. You've been using front end loaders to move the snow previously but feel you dont need a heavy duty plow / v plow for your 3/4 ton truck to do the same job?

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Hey everyone!

I own a landscape maintenance company in the Texas panhandle. We have had some success in past years renting skid steers, front end loaders and backhoes; really whatever has a bucket and we can get our hands on we have used to move snow.

We now have 30+ commercial job sites. Restaurants, USPS, FedEx etc..

With the number of properties we have I cannot continue to rely on renting.

I am looking at buying a plow for my 2018 f250 4x4. Fgwr (4400)... I bought a gas truck... we only have one maybe two snow events a year with over 6in. I dont need a heavy duty V

plow. Just something I can use twice a year that will be reliable and can pay for itself quickly.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

We were stationed at Reese air force base and lived in Lubbock.
The old man didn’t even own a snow shovel.

If there is a demand for this service maybe you should look into applying liquids instead of plowing.

OP
L

LubbockRoots

I'm a bit confused. You've been using front end loaders to move the snow previously but feel you dont need a heavy duty plow / v plow for your 3/4 ton truck to do the same job?

We only use the front end loader out at the airport for our FedEx guys. We are responsible for the taxiway. We will continue to leave a front end loader out there. It's a pain driving into town to use on parking lots. And the rental is crazy expensive after 8hrs.

OP
L

LubbockRoots

Welcome, to the p/s Josh. I see 12/8/2018 a record storm , u got snow approx. 10". All I can say push it fast before it MELTS ?? > :drinkup:

Hell yes! That's exactly what the deal is! We had a couple drive thru places get so much business we didnt get to push bc the traffic and sun melted it all off just a few hours after it stopped snowing.

OP
L

LubbockRoots

We were stationed at Reese air force base and lived in Lubbock.
The old man didn’t even own a snow shovel.

If there is a demand for this service maybe you should look into applying liquids instead of plowing.

I am in Lubbock. I have considered this, applying liquids. It would be more practical for me to do this too as we get more ice storms than snow storms. Once again where do I turn? And is there a liquid application that prevents snow build up?

m_ice

PlowSite Veteran
It's simple economics...
Buy as much plow or plows as you can afford in your budget. If you have a little mechanical ability I would buy 2 good used plows over a new single plow.
Find a dealer that is close if at all possible or at least keep spare wearable/breakable parts on hand.
You don't get a lot of snow but when you do you need to charge accordingly. You are taking the risk and making the capital investment. You can and should charge a premium price. Some may say you're taking advantage of your customers but that's not true.
Also, the liquid comment may have some merit as I'm sure there is no o one in the area offering that and you could make the market.

BossPlow2010

PlowSite Fanatic
We only use the front end loader out at the airport for our FedEx guys. We are responsible for the taxiway. We will continue to leave a front end loader out there. It's a pain driving into town to use on parking lots. And the rental is crazy expensive after 8hrs.
Are you plowing with just the bucket or are you putting a pusher box on the front?

It seems you have a very good chance to make some good profit doing this, is there much competition down there?

Are you charging seasonal (set or variable rate for entire season) or per push (each time you service the property)

OP
L

LubbockRoots

Are you plowing with just the bucket or are you putting a pusher box on the front?

It seems you have a very good chance to make some good profit doing this, is there much competition down there?

Are you charging seasonal (set or variable rate for entire season) or per push (each time you service the property)

We've charging by the hour. Bc we are using buckets on skids. It's agonizingly slow! As far as money, we get to name our price. There is no competition and as long as people are going to get dug out they will pay whatever we say.
If I can find a plow for reasonable price I'm going to figure out an algorithm to help charge by the square foot and by the inch instead of charging by the hour. The numbers will still be fairly close I just want to increase efficiency so I can try and make more and get to everyone

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
All I have found is a Meyer dealer in town. Snowdogg guy 2hrs north.

You're kinda screwed either way...lol.

I'm going to guess the snow generally has a pretty high moisture content? Not the best conditions for liquids. On the other hand, they don't go bad and you can store them and not worry about moisture getting in the bags.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
You're kinda screwed either way...lol.

I'm going to guess the snow generally has a pretty high moisture content? Not the best conditions for liquids. On the other hand, they don't go bad and you can store them and not worry about moisture getting in the bags.

remember the ground will probably not be frozen.
they will see more ice storms than snow.

getting a 6" storm total is rare one that leaves 6"on the ground is very rare. and will melt off quickly.

for the guys,,, what do you think for a trigger depth 1/2"?
as Lubbock has a Av. annual snowfall of 9 inch.
they avg 1"-2" a month during the winter.
a low of 26deg in Jan with the avg high being 54deg.

i still sticking with me recommendations of liquids,
even if he has to apply a 2nd time and at a litter higher rate than you would.
he can also apply the liquids to sidewalks.

OP you can do a search , you will find a lot of info on using liquids.
Maybe mark will be of some help....

Top Forums