1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help. New to snow plowing business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Snowplowvirgin, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Snowplowvirgin

Snowplowvirgin Junior Member

I'm in jersey. I'm planning to get a truck with a cab. Can I get a salter for a 6" bed?

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Rumor on the playground is insurance for plowing in Jersey is very expensive.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

PFFFFT! It's only money. Everyone I know who plows snow here all day the same thing. At this time they would never start up from scratch to plow snow

4. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, you want to know where to get started.

First, completely forget that $15k, because it's already spent.

Then before you do anything talk to your insurance agent about general liability and commercial auto (also see if you need work comp for you the owner in your state). If after getting quotes on that you still want to start a business here are a few things.

You need to create a legal business. I would recommend splitting yourself from your company (so you personally aren't liable) and for an LLC or incorporate. You can hire a lawyer to help, or use one of those websites. You will also need to get a lawyer to write you up a few contracts for your customers to sign.

You need to buy a truck, and it HAS to be something reliable. People are counting on you to keep things clear, so you can't have your truck breaking down constantly. Since it's your daily driver I would guess you don't want just the work truck package, so I'm going to guess you will have to end up spending $15-20k if not double. 3/4 would be fine, but if you want a large spreader go with 1 ton to make life easier.

Next you need a good commercial grade plow. I would highly recommend a V, but you can get by with a straight. If you go straight blade I would also recommend wings for it, you will thank me later. Just from my experience in the past, knowing nothing about plows, I personally would go new. That way you don't have any unforseen headaches. I would guess $4-8+k for your plow.

Next is your spreader, kind of. Do you have space to hold tons (literally) of bulk salt? Do you have a way to load it, like a bobcat or tractor? If you don't you'll have to get bagged salt and go the tailgate spreader route. Then you need space to put your pallets of salt. If you don't have a forklift you will have to load salt by hand every storm and fill your bed up. Depending on what way you go there, your spreader cost will vary greatly. Don't forget you need cash on hand to buy all this salt, depending on your area the price will differ.

Then what about the sidewalks? Most places want those done too. You will need shovels, a good commercial walk behind spreader, and probably a blower. These prices will be all over the board, but probably around $1+k for everything.

Now you need to figure out a back up plan. Even with new things, things break. There is no getting around it. You need to have someone you can call or have extra equipment if something happens and you can't make your route.

With all that said, this business is much more than buying equipment. You need customer service, because you will have bitchy customers. You will not get much sleep, and put in more hours than you have ever worked before. You will constantly be doing site checks to look for blowing snow or runoff. Above all you can't make plans. The weathermen are always wrong, and you HAVE to be on call and ready to go at the drop of a hat. Not an easy job what so ever, but it can be rewarding.

You can also search around on here, tons of people have asked about a new business. I will still highly recommended against driving 80 miles for an account. You could easily add a few jobs in that drive time and have 3 instead of 1, plus you'd save the gas.

Guys, please add anything I forgot.

jonniesmooth and k1768 like this.
  5. JMHConstruction

^^^^ wow that was long! Sorry for the long reply.

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

no ewer not.........:laugh::laugh:

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

JMH......That was good, but almost out of monitor ink.

Mark Oomkes and JMHConstruction like this.
  8. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

I doubt it. You would have rig something up since none of the big 3 truck manufacturers offer a 6' bed. You can however get salters for a standard 6.5' bed which all three offer.

9. Randall Ave

His biggest downfall, He's in Jersey.

10. JMHConstruction

I'll reimburse youThumbs Up

1olddogtwo likes this.
  11. FredG

FredG PlowSite Veteran

Virgin, This is just a bad idea, What are you going to do about back up? I would not commit to something that far away especially with a relative. It would be different if it was summer work like mowing etc.

12. Randall Ave

Where in Jersey are you, and where is the site? You do realize it doesn't snow much here anymore.

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Can you even drive 80miles and still be in Jersey?

Mark Oomkes and ktfbgb like this.
  14. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite Veteran

from what I've seen and heard of snow in New Jersey, that 15k would barely be a down payment for snow insurance. And most policies there have to be paid in full, up front before the season starts.

15. Randall Ave

North to south over 80, east to west that's about it. Most snow policies here, paid in full before the season starts. When I had to bid the town, you had to have the policy in place with the town listed as an additional insured. If you did not win the bid, o well. This is why now, any money I make from snow is an extra, I do not rely on it for income.

FredG likes this.
  16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

It's a sliver.... N/S 170m E/W 70m which equals Colorado's 2 largest countys....

ktfbgb likes this.
  17. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

The county I live in is 170 miles north south and 143 miles east west. So almost double the size of New Jersey. But, the population is only around 150,000 people and that's still too many for me.

18. Randall Ave

My county is roughly 481 square miles. Just about 493,000 people. Then add another 40,000 illegals.

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

My uncles ranch in Wyo is 525sq miles, population 4 people, 25 horses, 3 dogs, 50-60 cats, 15 chickens and aboot 800 beef.

20. Randall Ave

My town is 3 square miles, about 4000 people.