help (need advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolanryan60

Hello! I'm 20 years old, and shovel residential driveways on the side for a few extra dollars for groceries etc..(I operate off kijiji, and I'm not a full business) Last night I encountered a problem, a man called me at 11pm stating he had a 2 car driveway, 2 cars and length and depth in needing of clearing. He lives on the other side of town, and I had to pay gas for a v8 truck, as well as give me friend some money too! We agreed on $40 after him arguing with me, begging me to come so he would not receive a ticket for parking on the street. I agreed, and arrived at his house for 11:45. When we arrived the driveway was double the size then discussed, so I spoke with him at the door. I explained in a kindly fashion that there was a misunderstanding, and he told me half the size of the driveway. I told him $60 is the best price I can do considering the size of the job, and the hour and a half labour. He argued with me, insulted me and we finally agreed on $60. After we had finished the driveway, I went to collect the money. However he refused to pay, stating that the snowbank which was made prior to my arrival between him and his neighbors house, had to be removed as it was one driveway even though he had never told me prior that it was. The snowbank was ice, with some loose snow I had put on top of it from shovelling. He began to lose his temper, and continued to poke me, grab my shoulder and shake me, and talk down upon me. I was so fet up, I told him to give me $40 for the misunderstanding. He refused, and argued with me continuing to push me around, he demanded I take $30 and come back the next day and finish it. I took the $30 and said I will call another company to take care of it. I woke up this morning to 8 messages, 3 missed calls from him stating if I don't clear the rest of the snow, and he will pay me the balance of $30, he will pursue further action. (this was all a verbal agreement) he said he has contacted his company lawyer, will take me to court, will contact the police, and the consumer goods dept. He has continued to harass me, so I contacted the police, and they told me to text him back and say if he sends me another message, that I will be in contact with the police. I haven't heard back from him yet, but I'm confused as if he can actually do anything. Keep in mind I'm only 20 years old, and do this every snow storm. Edit"(he just replied, and told me to "go ahead, and make sure I have records of all that transpired"

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
Well, since you have no documentation of the agreed price, the work described, and nothing other than a verbal agreement, I would say that you are off the hook.

No lawyer, judge, or police officer is even going to entertain this.

As far as they know, you both agreed on $30 to do the work load that you already did.

Mr.Markus

PlowSite Fanatic
Call block his number, chock it up as experience, you paid for your shovel.
The other thing I used when I was younger, credit is a privilege with terms. Reneg on the terms...payment is due up front until I decide to grant you credit again, much like respect it needs to be earned.

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
Randall you sound a bit like me in my younger years. :nod::rolleyes:

I used to combat non payment by shutting peoples water services off and fill the b box up with a few cups full of concrete bag mix in the middle of the night... add a water bottle or 3 and laugh the whole way home... (cans of beer worked too in a pinch but hated to waste it)

Or if it was winter, and b box was not visible kill the gas meter and put a padlock on it...

I have mellowed out a lot now and just lein their a$$es (also had my face beat in a few times)

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
The guy sounds like he's young, and just trying to eat. But you have to get that experience where at the initial phone call, you know when to say thanks, but no thanks.

Typically the arguing with you on the phone before you even see the job, telling you that your service is not worth what you want for it is my give away to walk away... :(

JustJeff

PlowSite Veteran
The guy sounds like he's young, and just trying to eat. But you have to get that experience where at the initial phone call, you know when to say thanks, but no thanks.

Exactly. I learned a long time ago that not all money is good money. I've looked at some jobs that look like they'll be a pain in the ass to do, and I bid it very high. That way if they don't accept my bid I'm good with it, but if they accept the bid at least I'm getting compensated enough to deal with the B.S. aspects of it. People on the other hand, I'll walk away from a job in a heartbeat if the person wanting the work done seems like an A-hole from the beginning.

Mr.Markus

PlowSite Fanatic
I have a min charge for showing up, I always quote it when on the phone with a potentially new client, the minute they haggle the min...I know. Sometimes you have to re emphasize the word "minimum" for them to get it.

Op, You really want to be a thorn in his side? Tell him yes you will have documentation of what happened. You slipped and fell and your back is killing you and if it don't get better you will have to seek medical attention. For Gods sake your parents are still responsible for you. His HO insurance would cancel him in a NY minute, Were was your friend when he was grabbing you? You could have him arrested with a witness. He's darn lucky the both of ya didn't give him a beating.

He's young, learned something. The uglyer problem with this is some rotten old guy tried to take advantage of a young guy trying to make a buck. He should have put all the snow back in the drive way. And then claim inexperience.
Sure he tried to take advantage, The funny thing he would of payed us older guys, I'm not sure I could of handled him grabbing me. I got papers that state I am not right under a situation like that. Could of been a bad day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Forums