Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need yall's tips and information on bidding a neighboorhood. In and out 3 1/2 miles of plowing. One main long drive with 5 small roads branching out into culdesacs with islands in the middle of each. The road is in good condition, a few up slightly incline roads. I will be offering application of salt as well. I also will be doing tiers of snowfall. EX: 2-4, 5-7, 8-11... Interested in what yall think, thanks for the help in advance!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are complaining about their current contractor plowing too wide and tearing up yards. Plow guys are always the bad guys. Anyhow, asked for a quote. Who knows how serious they are about changing but I’ll shoot a number and if it works it works.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Map Oxbow lake Font Urban design Pattern
Need yall's tips and information on bidding a neighboorhood. In and out 3 1/2 miles of plowing. One main long drive with 5 small roads branching out into culdesacs with islands in the middle of each. The road is in good condition, a few up slightly incline roads. I will be offering application of salt as well. I also will be doing tiers of snowfall. EX: 2-4, 5-7, 8-11... Interested in what yall think, thanks for the help in advance!

· Registered
17,749 Posts
They are complaining about their current contractor plowing too wide and tearing up yards. Plow guys are always the bad guys. Anyhow, asked for a quote. Who knows how serious they are about changing but I'll shoot a number and if it works it works.
If this is the current case, I would ask for the guy that they will be letting go's quote straight up. It will save you much time and figuring if it is a low ball contractor. If it is in your ball park figures on what you can do it for, then crunch numbers after you see it. If it is stupid low, respond to them that you are going to be minimum double or triple his number and ask if they still want you to proceed. Not worth wasting your time on work that is unobtainable.

Culdesacs are a pain, but with a properly set up pickup, you can fly threw them. When I did culdesacs, we had rally routes of 20-30 culdesacs per route. They were 4-5 hour routes for one truck. 10-15 minutes in a little culdesac feels like and eternity when you are in the truck.

Roads go quick. Typical rally roads with pickups were 4 passes w/ curbs. 4 passes was only due to the fact that if they were on a rally route, they were a dead end (or the city trucks would have done it) so you had to make one more pass back out or it was 3 if not a dead end. Non curbed were 3 pass unless deep enough snow that you had to "wing" in case it froze.

· Registered
17,749 Posts
Oh... and be ready for people cursing you out, throwing shovels, blowing snow at your truck as you go by, all types of stupid stuff. (your supposed to make the snow "disappear" when you roll past the end of their driveway) :dizzy:

Plowing for the public body is a treat as you have 100 different people with 101 different options of how you do your job wrong.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If this is the current case, I would ask for the guy that they will be letting go's quote straight up. It will save you much time and figuring if it is a low ball contractor. If it is in your ball park figures on what you can do it for, then crunch numbers after you see it. If it is stupid low, respond to them that you are going to be minimum double or triple his number and ask if they still want you to proceed. Not worth wasting your time on work that is unobtainable.

Culdesacs are a pain, but with a properly set up pickup, you can fly threw them. When I did culdesacs, we had rally routes of 20-30 culdesacs per route. They were 4-5 hour routes for one truck. 10-15 minutes in a little culdesac feels like and eternity when you are in the truck.

Roads go quick. Typical rally roads with pickups were 4 passes w/ curbs. 4 passes was only due to the fact that if they were on a rally route, they were a dead end (or the city trucks would have done it) so you had to make one more pass back out or it was 3 if not a dead end. Non curbed were 3 pass unless deep enough snow that you had to "wing" in case it froze.
I think I have my base pay for plowing, what percentage should I increase per tier of snowfall?

· Registered
1,172 Posts
If it snows 5" which 5" increment are you going to charge for ? The 2-5" or the 5-8"?
Use 5-8". I suppose you could put down 2-4.99999" but I dont think your customer will be that particular.

Your increments did not include accumulations between 4-5" and 7-8" which may have created confusion.

Also the measuring stick I use tends to "malfunction" and round up. For example if there is 4.75" it reads 5"......

· Banned
13,098 Posts
If this is the current case, I would ask for the guy that they will be letting go's quote straight up.

This is correct, I did that on a good account. Management called me and said the contractor in place gave her notice that he would handle them till another contractor was found.

I told the manager I did not want to bid on it this late in the season if the other contractors price was in line I will handle her. She pulled the guys contract out. The plowing was ok I would bid it for about $50.00 more but the spreading was like $40.00 more than I would charged.

I signed that day held them for 14 years until some new hired maintenance manager did not want to spread only by his call so I told him I could not do that. Anyways Phil is correct I would just want to know what there paying now and if I was comfortable with it go to work.

Furthermore this will give you some idea how serious they are about changing contractors. If there not willing to pay at least what there paying now you probably don't have nothing anyways.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Measuring stick that's funny
U should be sending certified snow reports
We use weather works so no one can say we lied
Snow reports? Sounds like a real hassle.

It's a give and take here. If there is 1.75" on our seasonal invoiced 2" trigger accounts we plow them. Not worth arguing with a customer when all the neighbors have been plowed.

· Registered
58,836 Posts

· Registered
58,836 Posts
Measuring stick that's funny
U should be sending certified snow reports
We use weather works so no one can say we lied
Doesn't work downwind of a big lake. You can go from nothing to 3" to 8" in a few miles. Unless Weather Works is going to "certify" each location.

· Registered
58,836 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.