Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

First of all, I'd like to say this has been a great resource for reading. I have really kept myself busy reading a lot of the information on this forum and it has been great. I have been wanted to get a plow for quite some time, and with purchasing a new house it is definitely time where I need one.

I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 crew cab with a 5.3. I do not claim to be an expert, but I know Fisher's ematch says it fits and HT. Called the local (NE Mass) Fisher dealer and they told me they wont put it on my truck because theres no plow prep package (YVU). Obviously not its a 2017 crew cab not a regular cab. I know the truck is more than capable of having the HT series to do my driveway and my parents, which is a mile away. The dealer told me they'd sell me the plow, but I would have to install it myself because they could not "certify" it. What do you recommend, find a new dealer and call around or just go with the Snow Dogg thats a couple hundred bucks cheaper and I know they'll install it? Reason I didnt want the snow dogg was the push plate is so damn low.

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer, happy to be here.

· Registered
7,298 Posts
Two ways of looking at things in life.

You can pay someone to do a job, and with any luck you'll get what you've paid for.

Or

You can do the job yourself, take your time, make,everything nice and neat, torque bolts, and learn something new in the process.

I recently had the transmission in my old dodge rebuilt, and I had done by the local transmission shop. It's been back so many times, I refuse to let them touch it again, simply out of principal......and fear of them screwing it up again. If it wasn't less than a month before snow season, I would have pulled it myself, and done a better job.

YMMV

· Premium Member
17,038 Posts
I'd have to double check, but I dont think the plow prep package is a requirement per Fisher. I believe its merely a recommendation. If you call around, I'm sure you could find someone else willing to install it on that truck

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd have to double check, but I dont think the plow prep package is a requirement per Fisher. I believe its merely a recommendation. If you call around, I'm sure you could find someone else willing to install it on that truck
Yah the other Fisher dealer near me is not open until tomorrow, I am going to give them a call in the morning. Apparently the other dealer just recently closed so it is this other one or Snow Dogg.

· Premium Member
17,038 Posts
I recently had the transmission in my old dodge rebuilt, and I had done by the local transmission shop. It's been back so many times, I refuse to let them touch it again, simply out of principal......and fear of them screwing it up again. If it wasn't less than a month before snow season, I would have pulled it myself, and done a better job.

YMMV
So, you think the average Joe has a better chance of successfully rebuilding his own transmission than paying a professional? Well, if they have a YouTube video for it, how hard can it be...

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forgot to mention that it is a true Z71 with the Z82 trailering package. I was looking into my RPO codes and have a tran cooler built in already and a 150a alternator. Looking forward to seeing what the other Fisher dealer says, I don't forsee "power draw" to be an issue.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the p/s . where in ma are u ?. Go to Candia trailers, s. Nh. Snow dogg dealer. no tax, got the 7'6" hd 3 yrs. no problem. the
md will fit your truck.
Thank you! I'm on the north shore, Candia is about 90 min from me. Theres a snow dogg dealer about 15 min from me. My only issue with snow dogg is the low mount and push plate. I was leaning Fisher HT due to the removable receiver making it less intrusive. Completely aesthetic though, so depending on what the other Fisher dealer says I will make a decision.

· Premium Member
17,038 Posts
Thank you! I'm on the north shore, Candia is about 90 min from me. Theres a snow dogg dealer about 15 min from me. My only issue with snow dogg is the low mount and push plate. I was leaning Fisher HT due to the removable receiver making it less intrusive. Completely aesthetic though, so depending on what the other Fisher dealer says I will make a decision.
The western has a removable receiver, Fisher does NOT

· Registered
8,294 Posts
I forgot to mention that it is a true Z71 with the Z82 trailering package. I was looking into my RPO codes and have a tran cooler built in already and a 150a alternator. Looking forward to seeing what the other Fisher dealer says, I don't forsee "power draw" to be an issue.
There is a good bit of cutting to the front bumper needed to install a plow on your truck.

· Registered
8,294 Posts
I've seen some pictures where there's been a lot cut and then some where there isn't much cut other than the air dam. I've seen a horrible picture of metal bumper actually cut, hard to know which is which.
Not really, just go read the install instructions. Every manufacture has the instructions on their site.

· Registered
7,298 Posts
So, you think the average Joe has a better chance of successfully rebuilding his own transmission than paying a professional? Well, if they have a YouTube video for it, how hard can it be...
Who said anything about the average joe ?

I would have ordered a transmission, and swapped it out. Any caveman can do that.

The guys who messed up mine did everything wrong except the actual rebuild, as that was done by a sub contractor who comes in at night and does the rebuilds. The idiots were the ones who did the Removing / installing, leaking pan, leaking front pump, damaged front pump from the wrong 47rh converter, tightening all the bolts from the trans to adapter plate behind the motor, installing the TV cable correctly, instead of upside down .... you know the EASY Stuff. :angry:

If I had time, and an enclosed shop, I would have even taken on the rebuild.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.