Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have an older bobcat 642b that I use for most stuff around my house, moving dirt, wood, trees, debris, SNOW. I plow my driveway with it and after the past few years out in the cold, I decided to get something with a bit more lift capacity, enclosed, and heat. I picked up a Caterpillar 247. I started a golf repair and instruction business last year, and I need to keep the driveway plowed for clients. The driveway is only about 200 yards, but in upper Central Wisconsin we get some snow. I mounted a western plow from an old suburban to a quick attach plate, and had some hydro lines made. I need to figure a way to combat ice in the driveway, because it didn't matter if I had snow tires on the old suburban, tires on the bobcat, or the tracks on the Cat I slide. I'm not looking to make money with my skid right now, but maybe in the future pick up a few driveways to help offset the cost, these things ain't cheap, even used. I used to take my bobcat to the golf course to do some work. Offloading pallets of sod was a bit too much for it, so we had to split them, but hopefully the new machine will not have a problem with it. It's my second skid steer, and my first track machine, and first diesel. Anything you guys can help me with, I'd be greaful. Thinking of picking up a grapple for brush too. I won't use it much, but in the past the times that I would have used it it would have been great and saved A LOT OF TIME. Cheers.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Mode of transport
Composite material Road surface Asphalt Gas Wood
Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

· Registered
7,395 Posts
Welcome to Plowsite!
If you still have both skids, I'd look at another quick-tach plate w/ a receiver hitch for a salt spreader.
Switching from the plow to the spreader on one machine wouldn't be the worst either.
Should be able to pick up a used spreader in your area pretty reasonable.

· Registered
17,474 Posts
People golf in winter?
I tried a simulation one at a bar once, it was pretty cool, could play multiple purses worldwide. With the bar right there it was pretty great, no walking.

Welcome to the site.... I was going to suggest a spreader as well. Even a small hydraulic fert spreader would do but loading it by hand could be tiring. Spend some money on something you can load from comfort, and that will last you a long time, maybe hold some value.

· Registered
1,995 Posts
Regarding dealing with ice, pretty much the only sure fire solution fir tires are chains.
For tracks, you can get better tracks designed for snow/ice than what you have (those look a little smooth/worth for snow). I have an ASV - original tracks still on it (2009), but still work great in snow, good on ice. I find the best solution on ice is really to just throttle down until you get a little motion going.

· Registered
16,384 Posts
Hello all. I have an older bobcat 642b that I use for most stuff around my house, moving dirt, wood, trees, debris, SNOW. I plow my driveway with it and after the past few years out in the cold, I decided to get something with a bit more lift capacity, enclosed, and heat. I picked up a Caterpillar 247. I started a golf repair and instruction business last year, and I need to keep the driveway plowed for clients. The driveway is only about 200 yards, but in upper Central Wisconsin we get some snow. I mounted a western plow from an old suburban to a quick attach plate, and had some hydro lines made. I need to figure a way to combat ice in the driveway, because it didn't matter if I had snow tires on the old suburban, tires on the bobcat, or the tracks on the Cat I slide. I'm not looking to make money with my skid right now, but maybe in the future pick up a few driveways to help offset the cost, these things ain't cheap, even used. I used to take my bobcat to the golf course to do some work. Offloading pallets of sod was a bit too much for it, so we had to split them, but hopefully the new machine will not have a problem with it. It's my second skid steer, and my first track machine, and first diesel. Anything you guys can help me with, I'd be greaful. Thinking of picking up a grapple for brush too. I won't use it much, but in the past the times that I would have used it it would have been great and saved A LOT OF TIME. Cheers. View attachment 262412 View attachment 262414 View attachment 262415 View attachment 262413
Too much to read, a simple “Hi” will do.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to Plowsite!
If you still have both skids, I'd look at another quick-tach plate w/ a receiver hitch for a salt spreader.
Switching from the plow to the spreader on one machine wouldn't be the worst either.
Should be able to pick up a used spreader in your area pretty reasonable.
I like that idea, but looking to sell the Bobcat. Thanks

· Registered
7,395 Posts
I like that idea, but looking to sell the Bobcat. Thanks
Then you'd have to switch from the plow to the spreader, not a big deal.

· Registered
7,395 Posts
Is salt or sand better?
🍿
:popcorn:
Lots of factors play into that.
Paved or gravel drive?
Time of the year.
Solunar tables.
Not all spreaders can handle sand.

Reactions: SHAWZER

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
🍿
:popcorn:
Lots of factors play into that.
Paved or gravel drive?
Time of the year.
Solunar tables.
Not all spreaders can handle sand.
Drive used to be crushed limestone, but it wore down over years. About 4 months ago had it done in recycled crushed asphalt and rolled. But it was pup down cold so it's not hard. It was rolled and compacted, but I can't drop the blade and go. I kept the shoes on, and they still made grooves. Now, it's all frozen and an inch or two of solid ice. We had some lite rain and then it froze too. But I'm the spring I don't want to have to take it all back out of the grass, that's why we had it done. Do I just take the tank of the grill and get a torch and stand out there like an idiot trying to melt it all🤔...but it's about a 120 yard walk to the shop, and I've got some disabilities, so walking on the ice is dangerous. And, having clients driving in, or parking in walking into the shop can be dangerous. Do I spray it a fuel and light it.....

· Registered
7,395 Posts

· Registered
7,395 Posts
I don't have a compacted snow base... It's all ice now
Well,you should. It's the only way to preserve your agrigate surface.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well,you should. It's the only way to preserve your agrigate surface.
It started as a snow base, but then freezing rain and slightly warm temps then sub zero temps. Now it's just solid ice. Every year same thing. So, I threw down some salt and listened to it crackle, then hit it with an ice chipper/tanker bar. Then scraped it. Got down to driveway in a few spots. Gonna get some salt/ sand mix.

· Registered
5,651 Posts
It started as a snow base, but then freezing rain and slightly warm temps then sub zero temps. Now it's just solid ice. Every year same thing. So, I threw down some salt and listened to it crackle, then hit it with an ice chipper/tanker bar. Then scraped it. Got down to driveway in a few spots. Gonna get some salt/ sand mix.
I have a +/- 350' gravel driveway. The advice given above to NOT salt it is correct. The salt will help bust up the ice, but you will be getting into the exposed millings every time you plow. Then salt will thaw the substrate/base and your driveway will be even more of a mess, and even more of a hassle to clear. You want that top layer to get a solid frozen/compacted (snow/ice) mix on top of it.
Not sure where "home" is for you, but here in upstate NY we have had late March conditions in early January. Resist the urge to salt it, you will be happier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts