1. Podcast: Make Equipment Financing Work For Your Business
    The spring season is here, and if you’re a lawn care or landscape business owner planning to add or upgrade new equipment to your fleet, you’ll want to listen to Turf’s recent conversation with John Deere Financial about options in the market. Click here to listen
    Dismiss Notice

Hello from Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jake's Lawn and Snow, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Jake's Lawn and Snow

Jake's Lawn and Snow Junior Member

Hello everyone,
    I have decided to start my own lawn and snow business in Wisconsin. Any advise you have would be greatly apreciated.

I have 14 years of experience in snow removal, between sidewalk crews, plow trucks, bobcats with snow buckets or cage plows, and salt trucks.

I think my biggest fear is going to be getting a small business loan to start up.

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

If that is your big fear, why not save some money first and start your business using your own money?

3. seville009

seville009 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CNY

A very general comment - who knows what the economy will be like in the next six months (or whatever time period). It’s likely that many small businesses will not be able to recover, and there will be many people trying to do lawn and snow removal type work just to get by.

My personal opinion is that, unless you are already financially sound and could handle the financial risk of a new business failing, it would be wise to not dive into something new.

4. OP
    OP
    Jake's Lawn and Snow

Jake's Lawn and Snow Junior Member

I'm up in the air about starting next winter or next spring. Depending on the economy.

I'll try to buy everything by saving money. But a business loan would make sure I can buy everything I need.
    I understand why you suggest to save money and buy stuff. I'll try that route first.

FredG likes this.
  5. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

I would give things at least 4 to 6 months to see how things go. Not the best economy to think about borrowing money. Do what you can do with what you got.

You won't be the first one to make money with a blower and a shovel. Time, sacrifice and hard work will put you where you want to be.

Philbilly2 and jonniesmooth like this.
  6. snoboss

snoboss Senior Member

If they don't get this virus thing under control the very best laid plans are futile. That being said I have been at this game going on 4 decades. Started out with pocket lint and the drive to be self employed. I never turned down any work. I would say yes I can do that followed by how am I going to do that? I plowed snow for years with trucks that others would have put on a rock pile. Fast forward ahead I never pay 75% of new price for used iron. I have been buying brand new equipment for the last decade. schedule c the iron and depreciate it out. When things are going well and I needed more write offs I would buy more iron. Never turning down any work the business got out of hand in size to where its highly dependent on hired help and that is the week link in the chain! I have been in storms for as many as 45 hours nonstop do to the hired help going ice fishing, cancun, vegas, having diarrhea, you name it I have heard it. I have tried the sub it out thing and the very first storm was at deer season and I had to do all the plowing anyway. jake asking those who have been there done that is a great way to gain insight on your plan for your business. Work on your plan but stay in tune with world events before you jump off that bridge. Good luck!

BUFF, Philbilly2, EWSplow and 2 others like this.
  7. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

Could take up to 5 years just to get your name out there where you are over the hump and made the grade. Take your time if you go to fast and get in debt is a good way to fail as many have done.

Lots of issues will be in your face and you will have to face them head on. Good Luck.

8. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth PlowSite.com Addict

So what equipment do you already have and what do you ( think) you need to buy.
    How much are you thinking about borrowing to get started?

Philbilly2 likes this.
  9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

I’m going be honest with you... starting off a brand new business adventure with the overhead of a business loan is kinda like trying to win a foot race starting a mile behind.

You have to look at the numbers. I don’t mow grass, so I am not sure how much margin there is in mowing lawns, but if every month, you have to take a portion (if not all) of your potential profit and give it to the bank, what is the point?

I understand that eventually the goal is to pay off this debt, and you will then own the equipment that you are borrowing the money for, but by that point, will the equipment need to be replaced? Putting you right back under the banks finger again...

Hate to be the Debbie downer, but I hate to see yet another person want to work for themselves and find down the road that they are just working for the bank...

10. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome Jake...

I have never been to Wisconsin and I’m sure the people up there are grateful..

11. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite Fanatic

One question....

You said you want to get a loan for what you “need”...What do you need??...Do you have accounts lined up??....

jonniesmooth likes this.
  12. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

YES

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Surprised none of the Cheesewheels posted this.....