1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hello from Penticton

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by donsservice, Mar 9, 2017.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I don't have a Boss plow. Look at my picture and read my signature. But yes, on all V plows the wings work independently of each other if you want to. You'd be awful sore if you tried to use this plow on a Canyon or Colorado. It weighs 1,000lbs.

2. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

I think randall is right. I drove with a buddy in his half ton dodge with the ecodiesel to pick up a camper that he bought on CL. This was when I still had my half ton gas. All he did was complain about how he overpaid for the diesel, and unlike the 3/4 and bigger trucks, it had no power. It is a different kind of diesel than what they put in the bigger trucks, and it's purpose is gas mileage, not power. I have never actually driven one, but he didn't like his.

If you have enough work to stay busy, why not get a bigger used truck and get your v plow. That way you're prepared to grow. I understand that you can complete your jobs now, but you'll be amazed at the efficiency of a bigger truck and plow.

Good luck on finding something!

3. donsservice

donsservice Junior Member

Ok... Yes, going up hills and heavy wet snow adds up and more is better when that happens. It's the other 8 months of the year when I go guiding and RVing, the truck fit's in well. All things to consider before you buy equipment . D

4. donsservice

Thanks, yes 3/4 ton has way more options than a 1/2 ton, Life is a compromise, It's the other 8 months of the year this truck fit's nicely into for guiding hunting in far away places, and RVing up to 18' trailering. T-U for your opnion(s) D

5. donsservice

you've got a similar set up with a bigger truck and UTV. yes 1000 lbs would be to heavy for that truck. thanks D

6. donsservice

Fine if you Truck is empty, just like the VW Vans, fine till you add your gear and water, then your turtling it down the hwy. someting to think about. maybe the titan XD is worth the extra dime ! ;)) thanks

7. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

But the canyon isn't even a 1/2 ton truck. I could see compromising with a 1/2 ton, guys do it all the time. But you are looking at a car with a bed on it that has a diesel motor to get maximum fuel efficiency. It's not meant to be a plow truck, or a guide truck. Not real sure how it is for you but out here in the Rocky Mountain west that truck would not make it. I hunt a lot, and I'm friends with a couple professional guides that do annual governors hunts and have taken a lot of B and C top ten animals and they beat the hell out of their heavy duty trucks to get the results they get. Not to mention that just one elk is probably over the hauling capacity of the canyon. Just sayin.

8. donsservice

Most of the big game animals come in quarters or by horse/utv. into camp the customers always have the nicest trucks 1 ton heavy dutys. yup an elk is a big animal. you just don't like those mid sized trucks. yup it's not the biggest truck, it's a bigger is better forum I get that ?

9. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Yes, it is kind of is a "bigger is better" forum. That's for practicality as much as it is for bragging rights. There is a reason that 90-95% of contractors that have been in the business for years use a minimum of a 2500 for snow removal duties. They simply work better and longer doing snow removal duties. Granted, that doesn't suit your bill for what you're doing at this point in your life, and that's understandable. What the rest of us are doing doesn't necessarily work for you right now. But since that's what most of us are doing, and the direction that we go in, that's the kind of advice that you'll get on this forum. It just means that you'll have to pick between the feedback that you get and see what applies to you. I don't know if there is a half-ton thread on this forum or not, as I don't look for it since it doesn't apply to me. But you may want to see if there is one, and if there is, maybe that would be more suitable to your situation.

ktfbgb likes this.
  10. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

More of a buy the proper tool for the job at hand, type of forum. Just saying you won't see me frame a load bearing wall with a brad nailer. Proper tool/equipment is a necessity for being a professional contractor, snow or otherwise.

11. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Obviously it's you're decision, but I don't understand that "too expensive" factor you have put into this when you're looking at a $50k truck. You can easily find a truck that fits your all around needs better, that is a few years old for the same price, with the same bells and whistles. Or you can go brand new with a few less luxuries.

You asked a snow plow forum if your new truck would work, we are saying it is not the right tool for the job. Can you get a plow for them, yes. I have seen a few Colorados and Rangers used on large sidewalks and maybe a driveway or 2. I have never seen or heard of one plowing commercial lots, or even used commercially during the whole storm.

In the end, you will do what you do. I fully understand not being able to afford a new truck, and having to make what you already have work. But when you're already looking to spend $50k on a truck, might as well get one that will fit your all around needs. What if your customers want their lots salter? You're payload for a Canyon won't allow much salt in the back, for your tailgate spreader you'd have to use.

ktfbgb likes this.