Heave rust stains on my concrete driveway from plowing?

gionnovi

Hi everyone,

My driveway has quite a few rust stains from plowing. These picture were taken on Feb 27 and the plow guy had only plowed in Jan and February.

This seemed pretty bad. Do you think this is typical? He told me I should have expected this.

Any ideas how I could clean this up? I got one proposal and it was over $2k!

20210227_201127589_iOS.jpg

Attachments

• 20210227_201246789_iOS.jpg
    20210227_201246789_iOS.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210227_201248224_iOS.jpg
    20210227_201248224_iOS.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210227_201120049_iOS.jpg
    20210227_201120049_iOS.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 39
OP
G

gionnovi

Yeah that is actually where I started with this project. They felt like they had to pressure wash and then apply some heavier chemical and then pressure wash again. Maybe I'll call for a second quote.

Is this normal and to be expected in a typical plow season?

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
That doesn’t look like damage from a snow plow.

Who had the bad battery or altternator?

cleaning agents,
  • White Vinegar
In case lemon juice isn’t effective but you still want to avoid rust removers, perhaps white vinegar is the answer to your prayers. It’s the most popular natural remover for slightly tougher rust stains.

Spray or pour it onto the stains. Let it sit for a while, then scrub with a wire brush. Rinse with water. For painted or delicate surfaces, dilute the vinegar and use a sponge to prevent further damage.

How to Remove Heavy Rust Stains from Concrete?

For larger and more stubborn rust stains, you will need to purchase a commercial rust remover. Opt for a heavy-duty solution and follow the instructions on the label for effective and safe application.

Most commercial rust removers come with safety precautions and detailed instructions for use. Usually, these products should be applied in a well-ventilated place, and you should wear protective gear.

• Oxalic Acid
Cleaning products that contain oxalic acid are often utilized to remove stubborn rust stains. They usually come in either powder or liquid form. Sprinkle or spray the product onto the stains.

If you’re using a powered cleaner, apply some water according to the instructions on the product. Give it a few minutes before scrubbing in small circles with a stiff-bristled nylon brush to remove the stain.

Finally, rinse thoroughly with cold water. The last step is one of the most important steps in this process. Remove the rust remover completely. Otherwise, you will end up with a discoloration.

• Trisodium Phosphate (TSP)
Another commercial stain remover that’s perfect for lifting rust stains from concrete is TPS or trisodium phosphate. You can find this product at home improvement stores like Bunnings.

When applying commercial stain removers, use protective gloves. Mix a half-cup of trisodium phosphate with a half-gallon of super hot water. Then, put the mixture onto the affected area.

Give it about 20 minutes before you start scrubbing in small circles with a stiff nylon brush. Again, please rinse thoroughly with cold water because the leftovers will cause discoloration.

• Hydrochloric Acid
If you’re looking for a heavy-duty treatment method for tough rust stains, look no further than this acid. It’s extremely effective but dangerous. Meaning, it must be applied with great caution.

Always mix hydrochloric acid with water to prevent a dangerous chemical reaction. I suggest one cup of water for every 2 cups of hydrochloric acid. Apply the mixture to the affected area carefully.

Give it 10 minutes before you start scrubbing the rust away. Don’t forget to use protective gloves. Lastly, rinse the area thoroughly with water. Repeat if necessary until the stains have
gone

ps
Is Someone using landscapers choice to melt ice with?

OP
G

gionnovi

Thank you for the suggestions on some products to try.

I don't think a bad battery from either of our cars. We park them in the garage and both of us had the batteries replaced in 2020.

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
That doesn’t look like damage from a snow plow.

Who had the bad battery or altternator?

cleaning agents,
  • White Vinegar
In case lemon juice isn’t effective but you still want to avoid rust removers, perhaps white vinegar is the answer to your prayers. It’s the most popular natural remover for slightly tougher rust stains.

Spray or pour it onto the stains. Let it sit for a while, then scrub with a wire brush. Rinse with water. For painted or delicate surfaces, dilute the vinegar and use a sponge to prevent further damage.

How to Remove Heavy Rust Stains from Concrete?

For larger and more stubborn rust stains, you will need to purchase a commercial rust remover. Opt for a heavy-duty solution and follow the instructions on the label for effective and safe application.

Most commercial rust removers come with safety precautions and detailed instructions for use. Usually, these products should be applied in a well-ventilated place, and you should wear protective gear.

• Oxalic Acid
Cleaning products that contain oxalic acid are often utilized to remove stubborn rust stains. They usually come in either powder or liquid form. Sprinkle or spray the product onto the stains.

If you’re using a powered cleaner, apply some water according to the instructions on the product. Give it a few minutes before scrubbing in small circles with a stiff-bristled nylon brush to remove the stain.

Finally, rinse thoroughly with cold water. The last step is one of the most important steps in this process. Remove the rust remover completely. Otherwise, you will end up with a discoloration.

• Trisodium Phosphate (TSP)
Another commercial stain remover that’s perfect for lifting rust stains from concrete is TPS or trisodium phosphate. You can find this product at home improvement stores like Bunnings.

When applying commercial stain removers, use protective gloves. Mix a half-cup of trisodium phosphate with a half-gallon of super hot water. Then, put the mixture onto the affected area.

Give it about 20 minutes before you start scrubbing in small circles with a stiff nylon brush. Again, please rinse thoroughly with cold water because the leftovers will cause discoloration.

• Hydrochloric Acid
If you’re looking for a heavy-duty treatment method for tough rust stains, look no further than this acid. It’s extremely effective but dangerous. Meaning, it must be applied with great caution.

Always mix hydrochloric acid with water to prevent a dangerous chemical reaction. I suggest one cup of water for every 2 cups of hydrochloric acid. Apply the mixture to the affected area carefully.

Give it 10 minutes before you start scrubbing the rust away. Don’t forget to use protective gloves. Lastly, rinse the area thoroughly with water. Repeat if necessary until the stains have
gone

ps
Is Someone using landscapers choice to melt ice with?
It could be from plowing. I've seen it before.
It might go away on it's own. If not, mild acid should do it.
Hopefully, its not corroded re rod bleeding through.

Luther

PlowSite Veteran
Those are definitely rust marks from a plow. They are typical and it is unavoidable. Gadzooks, $2000 to power wash your driveway?!? Don’t be a sucker and do that, also avoid the heavy caustic acids. You don’t need those. Look for a site one landscape supply near you and go buy yourself a bottle of rid-o-rust and a cheap hand held bottle sprayer. Be liberal (uh oh, now I’ve done it...it’s political now) while applying the solution on your rust marks. You don’t even need to use elbow grease. You might need to reapply it a couple times based on how deep the tiny rust particles are in imbedded in your concrete. Then rinse off. Do that and they will magically go away for you.

Last edited:

Luther

PlowSite Veteran
You can also consider buying a larger hand pump type sprayer to use. Site one will have those also. You do have quite a large area to cover. It’ll just cost you a few bucks more than a handheld bottle sprayer. You can always re-use the sprayer for weed control for your landscape beds in the summer.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
Is it normal? Sort of.

Is it to be expected? Yes.

Could have someone use a poly or rubber edge but then you will likely complain about not getting a clean scrape.

Steel (iron) vs concrete results in small particles of steel (iron) being left. Steel (iron) and water results in oxidization (rust).

Does it happen on every driveway? No

Is it possible? Based on basic science, yes.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
Why always blame the snow jockey...?

From the article:

You might be tempted to pressure wash the rust away, but that’s not a good idea. The high pressure can cause serious damage, costing you more in concrete repairs than you’d have paid for a gentle soft wash.

If a pressure washer is causing spalling in your concrete, you've got far worse problems than some rust stains.

Ajlawn1

PlowSite Fanatic
Is it normal? Sort of.

Is it to be expected? Yes.

Could have someone use a poly or rubber edge but then you will likely complain about not getting a clean scrape.

Steel (iron) vs concrete results in small particles of steel (iron) being left. Steel (iron) and water results in oxidization (rust).

Does it happen on every driveway? No

Is it possible? Based on basic science, yes.

From the article:

You might be tempted to pressure wash the rust away, but that’s not a good idea. The high pressure can cause serious damage, costing you more in concrete repairs than you’d have paid for a gentle soft wash.

If a pressure washer is causing spalling in your concrete, you've got far worse problems than some rust stains.

Hungry steel and water? Wow!

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Not from a plow,

Do you know how much metal would have to be ground off of that plow edge on your driveway and then sit there long enough to Rust & stain the driveway

if that much steel was shaved off the plow, your drive would be covered with scratch marks in the Concrete.

I’m sure you all seen it but it wasn’t caused by the snow plow.
That fine steel shaving with blown away or washed away with the snow not sit there and rust but that one broken corner of the concrete that was caused by the steel snowplow.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJS

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Don't make me leave work early and take pics of my driveway that looks identical... It's plow shaving rust stains...

ok dr.fauci.
Been plowing seance 79. Never seen it

Only seen rust from a plow on concrete if it was stored/parked on it all summer

I’d like to see your pics.

I bet it leached up threw his open expansion/ crack joints or are they separate pads? proudly not..
Did the grover or what made the expanshojoint go down to the wire mesh?

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
Fine, snow blade.... Is that better...
Technically, from the cutting edge.

I have a friend who's a marine contractor, builds docks, drives pilings, etc. They were grinding steel and someone's fiberglass boat was docked too close. A week later there were rust stains on the boat. Same principle, the concrete is grinding the cutting edge and filings are corroding. They're on the surface.

@Hyromaster, do you still have the same cutting edges since 79, or do they were down from pavement and concrete?

Last edited:

Top Forums