Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
14,949 Posts
What's the heat source?

Reactions: FredG

· Registered
2,582 Posts
I think exhaust has a lot of humidity in it, you might be helping and hurting at the same time.
It does. It's not so bad for diesels, but a gasoline motor would ideally be N2, CO2, and H20 in the exhaust.

I hope that the other end of the hose exits above the salt. Otherwise it could cause back pressure problems for the engine.

· Registered
531 Posts
Go with a prewet system at the auger, if u cant unload. Youll never have a jam or freeze again. If you cant afford a commercial system honestly one of the few things you can cost effectively make with the stuff lying around the shop.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as adding humidity, the salt is very wet already. My salt supplier delivered it to me in the pouring down rain and it didn't get covered up for a while. We won't be hooking it up if it is a warm storm but thought we would give it a try if needed. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. I will also let you know if its a failure. Just experimenting.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had actually thought of the double wall idea, piping the heat in the wall but don't know the detailed construction of the spreader. Will the void between the walls allow complete flow or does it have any blockage. Always a chance it might work. As for stainless spreaders, no double wall.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It does. It's not so bad for diesels, but a gasoline motor would ideally be N2, CO2, and H20 in the exhaust.

I hope that the other end of the hose exits above the salt. Otherwise it could cause back pressure problems for the engine.
I may have to do that also but for now, I was hoping the exhaust would escape through the salt granules. I am probably wrong. thanks for your help.

· Registered
531 Posts
Prewet at the auger don't solve the frozen mass problem in the hopper.

I like that idea of just piping it into the double wall area of the spreader though - my like it'd melt the spreader though.....
It absolutely will, especially with those weaker salt dogg motors. Water on salt breaks it up and lets it flow without viberator help. If it really isnt a option though park it inside or unload it if you can. Besides your salt will work better and youll use less if you can wet it at the very least with salt water. No sense spending money on something that dosnt have the advantages of a prewet system.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
It absolutely will, especially with those weaker salt dogg motors. Water on salt breaks it up and lets it flow without viberator help. If it really isnt a option though park it inside or unload it if you can. Besides your salt will work better and youll use less if you can wet it at the very least with salt water. No sense spending money on something that dosnt have the advantages of a prewet system.
I'll tell you what - you come dig my 7cy spreader out one of these nights it freezes up. Spraying down on the auger is pointless when 18" above it is a solid mass.

Pre wetting is a whole nother story

· Registered
531 Posts
Im just trying to help out . I don't have issues with my salt freezing up becuase I take precautions. Leaving that much salt in a spreader w/o active use is ridiculous.

Reactions: FredG

· Registered
14,949 Posts
Go with a prewet system at the auger, if u cant unload. Youll never have a jam or freeze again.
How is a preset at the spinner gunna thaw or prevent the salt from freezing exactly?
Where are your theories coming from?

Reactions: Mark Oomkes

· Registered
8,530 Posts
Im just trying to help out . I don't have issues with my salt freezing up becuase I take precautions. Leaving that much salt in a spreader w/o active use is ridiculous.
Last week I had salt freezing within an hour of loading in the truck...Wet salt freezes...Wet salt freezes real quick when contained in a stainless steel dump box....It's obvious to me you don't spread or deal with a lot of salt

· Registered
531 Posts
It wont keep it from freezing, and its not at the spinner its at the auger thats the the key. But when you spray frozen salt with at the very least just water it breaks it back down. They are no longer theories but real world applications that work. My systems are setup with 2 spray heads at the auger inside the box/dump. You wont need much, generaly 6 gallons brine/ect a ton on the low side. The key is high pressure low flow so you can save on brine and not have to deal with the extra weight of a big tank on top of the spreader weight. Additionally we dont load soaked salt and keep our vboxes and beds tarped and unload when not in use. Salt should always be covered in storage its a epa standard, at least in ohio, i hope that helps dieselss. Defcon to answer your question im giving you the benefit of the doubt, out here in northern ohio specifically Chardon ohio where we average 110 inches of snowfall a season and your location dosnt even do 40. So tell me again i dont spread a lot of salt, you dont know me and i dont know you, i wanted to help with a situation not make assumptions. I just see a lot of people on this site try this and try that, and it cost money and time and it sucks when it dosnt work.

· Registered
8,530 Posts
It wont keep it from freezing, and its not at the spinner its at the auger thats the the key. But when you spray frozen salt with at the very least just water it breaks it back down. They are no longer theories but real world applications that work. My systems are setup with 2 spray heads at the auger inside the box/dump. You wont need much, generaly 6 gallons brine/ect a ton on the low side. The key is high pressure low flow so you can save on brine and not have to deal with the extra weight of a big tank on top of the spreader weight. Additionally we dont load soaked salt and keep our vboxes and beds tarped and unload when not in use. Salt should always be covered in storage its a epa standard, at least in ohio, i hope that helps dieselss. Defcon to answer your question im giving you the benefit of the doubt, out here in northern ohio specifically Chardon ohio where we average 110 inches of snowfall a season and your location dosnt even do 40. So tell me again i dont spread a lot of salt, you dont know me and i dont know you, i wanted to help with a situation not make assumptions. I just see a lot of people on this site try this and try that, and it cost money and time and it sucks when it dosnt work.
I don't care where you live....Your ignorance shines through

· Registered
16,387 Posts
I would like to see a pic of your pre-wet at the auger. Tried looking for it on your posted pics but didnt see it. If it works to keep the salt from freezing up why are you running the exhaust in the spreader.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.